Meet Jenna Haugen
CURRENT POSITION: Assistant Professor of Management, College of Business
RESPONSIBILITIES: The greatest part of being a professor is seeing students experience the “Ah Ha Moments” where what I am teaching them just clicks. It’s a powerful moment in the classroom that I know will last long after the semester ends.
WHY I JOINED YEP: I believe in the power of a strong network and the importance of building friendships and mentorships. I joined YEP to expand my network and connect with other young professionals across the university. I’ve enjoyed my time co-chairing the Membership and Recruitment Committee and sharing with new members the great opportunities YEP has to offer.
BEST CAREER ADVICE: Just because you CAN do something, doesn’t mean you SHOULD do something. It is important to understand your WHY and make sure the opportunities you agree to align with your mission.
MORE ABOUT JENNA:
- Hometown: Marion, KY
- Education: B.A. in Corporate and Organizational Communication (WKU ’07), M.A. in Organizational Communication (WKU ’09), and Ph.D. in Communication (KU, ’15)
- First Job: I worked at a pharmacy in high school delivering medicine to those who were homebound. In the role, I developed great empathy for people and the challenges they face.
- What's your dream job? Besides a professor, my ideal side hustle would be as a travel blogger. I want to explore the world and share my experiences with others.
- Last book you read or favorite book (please specify which)? I am currently reading How to be an Antiracist by Ibram Kendi. It is a powerful call to action of how we can be more inclusive in our actions.
- What’s at the top of your bucket list? My bucket list is deep but at the top (or very near the top) is sky diving. The most exhilarating thing I checked off my bucket list is cage diving with a great white shark. What an adrenaline rush!
- Who’s your hero? My mom is my hero. Her drive, selflessness, and sense of humor inspire me!