Miracle Monocle is now closed for regular submissions. When we re-open in May, these rules will apply:
There is no fee for submission. We ask that writers refrain from submitting more than once in one submission cycle. We also ask that writers submit only original, unpublished work. We do not currently pay contributors, but we do offer exceptional support to our writers in the form of social media coverage, reviews of new books, award nominations, and prize monies.
Miracle Monocle publishes the results of its Ambitious Student Writing Competition in the Spring. The intent of this award series is to celebrate the talents of writers beginning their careers with panache and verve. All individuals currently enrolled as students (high school, undergraduate, or graduate) are eligible to enter; all genres of literary writing are welcome. The prize includes publication in an upcoming issue of Miracle Monocle and award of $200. All entries to the competition are considered for publication in the journal.
Miracle Monocle also publishes the results of the annual Calvino Prize, an award recognizing outstanding fiction in the fabulist mode, in the Spring. This award is facilitated by the University of Louisville and comes with a $2000 cash prize. To enter to win this competition, please follow the submission guidelines published here.
Miracle Monocle accepts simultaneous submissions, but we request that submissions accepted elsewhere are withdrawn as soon as possible. We publish only previously unpublished work. We will make every effort to respond quickly and respectfully to your work. If you suspect we have overlooked or misplaced your submission, please contact us here: email@example.com.
Please review our archives before submitting.
Miracle Monocle is thrilled to announce the publication of the debut volume in its micro-anthology series: Queer, Rural, American. Our mission is to offer a platform to underserved communities and to illuminate under-explored territories for our readers. Queer, Rural, American is available for purchase in the Miracle Monocle offices, on the Blurb platform, and via Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Our second installment in the series—MONSTER—is slated for publication in the Spring of 2021. We will open submissions for our third book in the series in the Fall of 2021.
ELECTRONIC SUBMISSIONS ONLY
GENRE CATEGORY GUIDELINES
We humbly request that you send us work that enlivens us. Remind us why we love to read; remind us why the rules that govern the page sometimes invite revision. Send us work that brings us the news of the world, work that challenges us to reassess our expectations; send us forms old and new, fresh collaborations, re-invigorations of the word. Our issues tend to be big and eclectic. We draw at least half (and usually more than half) of our selections from our pool of unsolicited submissions. We publish only previously unpublished work.
· For fiction, please submit one piece of 1,000-10,000 words. We accommodate traditional realism and experiment alike. On occasion, we will publish an excerpt of a longer work, but those occasions are exceedingly rare.
· For poetry, please submit no more than three pieces. We like unique voices that encourage us to reevaluate ourselves and the world around us--poetry that makes the familiar seem unfamiliar. We appreciate work that takes risks and offers unexpected surprises; we also appreciate formal rigor.
· For creative nonfiction, please submit one piece of 5,000 words or less. We're looking for personal narrative, topical investigations, and lyrical essays. If your work does not fit snugly into these categories, let your prose persuade us that it's the exception to the rules.
· For the experimental and not-easily-defined, please submit no more than 3 pieces. We’re interested in flash, microfictions, nano fictions, and the like. We’re also fans of hybrid and collaborative work. In other words, we like to play host to writers who straddle the lines between genres. Length is negotiable, though flash tends to turn into something else when it exceeds 1500 words. Send your genre Frankensteins our way; they’ll find a safe home here.
· For two-dimensional art or photography, please submit no more than 3 pieces. We are especially fond of work that incorporates text, but this is more of a preference than a demand. We are open to a wide range of approaches, but tend to favor uniqueness and oddity over a strict fidelity to realistic representation. Images should be at least 300 dpi, submitted in JPG or TIFF format. RGB or CMYK please.
For questions regarding guidelines that have not been answered here, send a query to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Miracle Monocle staff office is located on the University of Louisville’s Belknap campus. We are happy to peruse review copies mailed to this address:
University of Louisville
414 Stevenson Hall
101 E. Centennial Walk
Louisville, KY 40208
ISSN 2152-520X. COPYRIGHT © 2011 - 2021 MIRACLE MONOCLE.