Income Tax Filing
International students and scholars who have been in the U.S. for any portion of a previous filing calendar year must file an annual "tax return" by the following year's tax filing deadline; generally April 15th of the next calendar year. Nonresidents, for tax purposes, are taxed only on their U.S. income.
Sources of U.S. income may include on-campus employment, scholarships, fellowships, graduate assistantships, practical or academic training, and any compensation received for any labor. The most common type of income is wages; the money withheld from each paycheck is an estimated payment of the federal and state income tax obligation. Taxable scholarship payments may have some amount withheld just like wages.
How to File for Taxes
The ISSS has arranged free access to Sprintax Tax Preparation. The services are for federal taxes only. However, you can make additional arrangements with Sprintax to complete your states taxes as well. You will receive an email from ISSS with a free access code in January each year.
All international student and scholars are required to file tax with the IRS each year, even if not employed. You can learn more about filing your taxes here.
Upcoming Tax Workshops
If you would like to take advantage of the free access code, please complete one of the following:
- Register here to attend one of the workshops provided by ISSS.
- Attend one of the Webinars offered by Sprintax provided below and email the confirmation of your registration to email@example.com to obtain the free access code.
- If you previously created an account with Sprintax, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain a new access code.
Sprintax Nonresident Tax Webinars
- Wednesday January 24th @ 3pm ET – Register here
- Thursday February 8th @ 1pm ET – Register here
- Tuesday February 20th @ 12pm ET – Register here
- Tuesday March 5th @ 4pm ET – Register here
- Wednesday March 20th @ 2pm ET – Register here
- Wednesday March 27th @ 1pm ET – Register here
- Thursday April 4th @ 3pm ET – Register here
- Wednesday April 10th @ 12pm ET – Register here
- Monday April 15th @ 1pm ET – Register here