Kentucky Driver License or State Identification (I.D) for Non-U.S Citizens
All non U.S. citizens may drive in the U.S. on a valid foreign license and International Permit for up to one year from the date of admission into the U.S. if their home country is part of the Geneva Compact (for more information, visit: https://drive.ky.gov/driver-licensing/Pages/Non-US-Citizens.aspx). If your license is not in English, please have it translated and notarized (the ISSS office offers notarization services for students). Keep these documents with you at all times while you drive. After this period has ended, you need to apply for a Kentucky driver license. Drivers from a country not identified by the Geneva Compact must obtain a Kentucky license within 30 days of establishing residency in Kentucky.
To apply for a driver’s license or a State Identification, please follow the following steps:
1. Obtain the required documents: A non-U.S. citizen must present all immigration documents as well as other supporting documents to the Driver Licensing personnel. The required documents are:
- Form I-94
- Form I-20/DS-2019
- Social security card, tax ID number or ineligibility letter from the Social Security Administration office. This office is located in the Gene Snyder Courthouse Building at the corner of 6th & Broadway in downtown Louisville.
- Proof of Kentucky residency: i.e., utility bill (LG&E), AT&T, or any other bill or mail that shows your current address with your name as the recipient and has been processed through the U.S. Postal Service.
- If you live in one of the University dormitories and receive your mail at the post office on campus, please contact Housing Office at (502) 852-6636 or email@example.com to receive instructions on how to show a proof of address.
- Non-U.S. Citizen Driver Licensing & Personal Identification Application Form. This form can also be obtained from the ISSS Office and must be signed by an international advisor.
*Please note that dependents (F2 or J2status), must show the documents mentioned above as well as the documents of their primary (F1 or J1status). A dependent also needs to obtain the Driver Licensing Non-U.S. Citizen Driver Licensing & Personal Identification Application Form from the ISSS Office.
2. Obtain the “Blue Letter” Appointments can be made at: https://telegov.egov.com/KYTC_DDL/AppointmentWizard
You can go to one of the four regional ID centers below with all the above-mentioned documents:
- State ID can be obtained right after you received Blue Letter from the regional ID office. Four-year state IDs cost $11.50
- Driver's License: Make an appointment with the KY State Police office at Bowman Field. (Note: no walks-in accepted)
- A Central Insurance Agency Inc.- (502) 966-8188 or (502) 969-2454
- Jerry Kays Insurance Agency- (502) 459-0833
- Shelby Insurance Agency Inc.- (502) 245-8346
- Kentucky Farm Bureau- (502) 459-4507 or visit https://www.kyfb.com/find/ to find your closest location.