OPT Application Materials
1. Complete the form I-765 (mark the code (c)(3)(A) for pre-completion or (c)(3)(B) for post completion. NOTE: I-765 form can be obtained at: www.uscis.gov. Please do not submit the form I-765 payment or any part of your OPT via the internet. The OPT application should be processed with an International Advisor at the International Center. Please use the International Center’s address or a friend’s mailing address if you anticipate moving within the next three months.
University of Louisville
Louisville, KY 40292
The postal service will not forward your mail. If it is sent back to the Service Center then you will be required to resubmit the service fee. Please remind an ISSS advisor if you reside in a state other than Kentucky because it may be necessary to file at a different Service Center.
2. Complete the OPT Request Form (Need completed original form)
4. Complete(Need completed original form only, submit this form every time you move to update your address or change employers or have multiple employers)
6. Obtain 2 Passport Size Photos – All photos must meet the specifications for full frontal/passport photos and must be no more than 30 days old when an application is filed. Photos must not have a dark/gray background or have a side pose. You cannot wear glasses ,hats/hoodies, or logo's on clothing for the photo. If you wear something specific for religious purposes then this will be accepted. If you wear something for medical reasons then a doctor's note must be included in the application. Print your name and I-94 Admissions number on the backside of each photo.
7. Submit a check/money order made payable to “US Department of Homeland Security” for the I-765 processing fee in the amount of $410. For more information on photo standards visit the Department of State Website at: http://travel.state.gov/passport/pptphotoreq/pptphotoreq_5333.html
8. Make 2 copies each of your passport photo/bio page, most recent visa, I-94 printout (www.cbp.gov/I94)
9. Make 2 copies of any I-20 that has been endorsed for Curricular Practical Training (CPT).
10. Make 2 copies of any I-20 and/or EAD card that you may have from a previous educational level OPT period.
Once you have completed everything, please email Thomas Beard to schedule an appointment for processing of your application. Be sure to complete all forms and make all necessary copies of the materials indicated above before coming to the appointment. The International Student Advisor will review your application, enter the OPT request into SEVIS, and print a new I-20 with OPT endorsement. You will be given a new I-20 and the International Center will keep a copy of the entire application on file. The International Center will send your application to immigration via regular mail for their review.
OUT of STATE - If you are out of state, the originals will be returned to you so that you may sign your endorsed the I-20 and then mail all documents to USCIS. Once our office processes your new I-20, it must be submitted within 30 days to USCIS.