Roland Valdes, Jr., Ph. D.
Professor of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
Phone Number: (502)-852-1778 (Office)
Fax Number: (502)-852-7674
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
University of Louisville
Louisville, KY 40292
- Chief, Clinical Chemistry and Toxicology, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
- Founder and Director, Postdoctoral Clinical Chemistry Fellowship Program
- Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Genetics
- Ph. D. 1976, University of Virginia
Laboratory Team Members:
Laboratory medicine (clinical chemistry, toxicology, molecular biology); Pharmacogenetics; Cancer biology; Development and clinical validation of novel biological markers.
- Valdes R Jr, Yin DT. Fundamentals of Pharmacogenetics in Personalized, Precision Medicine. Clin Lab Med. 2016 Sep;36(3):447-59. PubMed PMID: 27514461.
- Strotman LN, Millner LM, Valdes R Jr, Linder MW. Liquid Biopsies in Oncology and the Current Regulatory Landscape. Mol Diagn Ther. 2016 Jun 21;PubMed PMID: 27324559.
- Millner LM, Linder MW, Valdes R Jr. Circulating tumor cells: a review of present methods and the need to identify heterogeneous phenotypes. Ann Clin Lab Sci. 2013 Summer;43(3):295-304. PubMed PMID: 23884225.
- Borgman MP, Pendleton RC, McMillin GA, Reynolds KK, Vazquez S, et al. Prospective pilot trial of PerMIT versus standard anticoagulation service management of patients initiating oral anticoagulation. Thromb Haemost. 2012 Sep;108(3):561-9. PubMed PMID: 22836303; NIHMSID: NIHMS399238; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3434319.
- Yang L, Valdes R Jr, Taubert D, Linder MW. A diagnostic informatics approach for stratifying risk outcome based on combined genotype effects. Ther Drug Monit. 2012 Jun;34(3):283-8. PubMed PMID: 22549497.
- El-Mallakh RS, Stoddard M, Jortani SA, El-Masri MA, Sephton S, et al. Aberrant regulation of endogenous ouabain-like factor in bipolar subjects. Psychiatry Res. 2010 Jun 30;178(1):116-20. PubMed PMID: 20452675.
- Snow A, Gozal D, Valdes R Jr, Jortani SA. Urinary proteins for the diagnosis of obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. Methods Mol Biol. 2010;641:223-41. PubMed PMID: 20407950.
- Linder MW, Bon Homme M, Reynolds KK, Gage BF, Eby C, et al. Interactive modeling for ongoing utility of pharmacogenetic diagnostic testing: application for warfarin therapy. Clin Chem. 2009 Oct;55(10):1861-8. PubMed PMID: 19679631; NIHMSID: NIHMS301736; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3131846.
- Reynolds KK, Valdes R Jr. Preface Pharmacogenetics and its application to medicine by way of the clinical laboratory. Clin Lab Med. 2008 Dec;28(4):xiii-xv. PubMed PMID: 19059056.
- Al-Ghoul M, Valdes R Jr. Fundamentals of pharmacology and applications in pharmacogenetics. Clin Lab Med. 2008 Dec;28(4):485-97. PubMed PMID: 19059057.
- Bon Homme M, Reynolds KK, Valdes R Jr, Linder MW. Dynamic pharmacogenetic models in anticoagulation therapy. Clin Lab Med. 2008 Dec;28(4):539-52. PubMed PMID: 19059061.
- Wu AH, Wang P, Smith A, Haller C, Drake K, et al. Dosing algorithm for warfarin using CYP2C9 and VKORC1 genotyping from a multi-ethnic population: comparison with other equations. Pharmacogenomics. 2008 Feb;9(2):169-78. PubMed PMID: 18370846.
Recent Patents & Licenses:
- Valdes, R., and Qazzaz, H.M., United States Patent no. 6,835,715; “Dihydroouabain-Like Factor and Diagnostic & Therapeutic Compositions and Methods,” issued Dec 28, 2004; ULRF RDF ref. #80701.
- Valdes, R., Ihenetu, K.U., Fernandez-Botran, G.R., and Qazzaz, H.M., United States Patent Application serial no. 13/104,343, “Treating Cancer with Cardiac Glycosides,” filed May 10, 2011. Also pending is Canadian patent application #2,682,385, filed Sept. 29, 2009; ULRF RDF ref. #06037.
- Linder, M.W., and Valdes, R., United States Patent no. 8,380,539, “Personalized Medicine Management Software,” issued Feb. 19, 2013; ULRF RDF ref. #06064.
- Valdes, R., Gozal, D., Jortani, S.A., and Kheirandish, L., United States Patent Application ser. no. 13/121,037; “Methods and Kits for Diagnosing Obstructive Sleep Apnea,” filed Sept. 25, 2009; ULRF RDF ref. #11054.
Recent Awards & Honors:
- Clinical Scientist of the Year Award, Association of Clinical Scientists, Louisville, KY, May 2011
- Paul Finley Lectureship Award, University of Arizona, Tucson. April 24, 2008
- Distinguished University Scholar Award (renewal), University of Louisville, April 15, 2006
- Award for Outstanding Contributions Through Service to the Profession of Clinical Chemistry (2005). A major national recognition award selected by the American Association for Clinical Chemistry, Orlando FL, July 2005