Help Eliminate Fire Hazards -The University of Louisville Office of the Fire Marshal is dedicated to providing a fire safe learning, living, and working environment and solicit the collective support of the entire university community.
- Cook in approved areas only. Do not leaving food unattended while cooking.
- To avoid burning food, adjust the heat to a lower temperature and use on-off timers and alarms when possible.
- Make sure cooking areas are well ventilated, and know where the closest fire extinguisher is located.
- After each use, as well as more thoroughly periodically, clean away grease and food accumulations from appliances and cooking surfaces. Grease is a flammable liquid and when ignited will continue to burn until the fuel source has been exhausted or extinguished.
- If a grease or cooking fire occurs, turn the stove off, and Do Not attempt to relocate the hot pan to another burner or location until it has cooled.
- If the contents that are burning are within the pan, you can attempt to cover it with a lid to smother the fire.
- NEVER throw or spray water on a grease/cooking fire as this will cause the fire to spread.
- For oven fires, leave the burned food inside the oven compartment with the oven door closed.
- Contact 911 and the University of Louisville Department of Public Safety at 502-852-6111 immediately to report the incident.
- Never be left unattended while in use.
- Where applicable, be unplugged when not in use.
- Be maintained in good working order.
- Be Underwriters Laboratory (UL) or other recognized safety testing laboratory approved.
- Boxes, Bicycles, Furniture, etc. shall not be stored in hallways, stairwells, or blocking doors. These egress routes shall not be obstructed but available for use in case of fire or emergency.
- Be stored no closer than 18 inches to the ceiling in sprinkled buildings; and no closer than 24 inches to the ceiling in non-sprinkled buildings.
- Surplus pick-ups involving furniture and equipment need to be disposed of in accordance to University regulations. A "work order" must be submitted on-line to have discarded furniture and equipment picked up by Surplus Property. The items must be marked by identifying each item using the "Surplus". Such furniture and equipment may be position on only one side of the hallway to maintain a clear egress path to the exit doors.
- Smoking is Not Permitted on University of Louisville property.
- Dispose of smoking materials properly. Do not deposit lit cigarette butts in trash cans, dumpsters, mulch beds, or on grass lawns.
Report Safety Hazards:
- If you observe an unsafe practice or potential safety hazard, please contact the University Fire Marshal at (502) 852-3473 or 852-6111, or email at email@example.com.