Request for the Inspection of Records of the University of Louisville Under the
Kentucky Open Records Act
In accordance with the Kentucky Open Records Act (KRS 61.870-61.884), the University of Louisville permits applicants to inspect its records. This process is administered by the open records team, regardless of which office houses them. If you wish to inspect University records, you may apply to do so by completing the online form at https://louisville.edu/counsel/open-records/kentucky-open-records-act-form or emailing KORAREQ@louisville.edu. Under the Kentucky Open Records Act, some records, such as those listed below, may be excluded from inspection. You may appeal any denial of your request to the Attorney General of the Commonwealth of Kentucky. If you have any questions about this notice or the application form, the University's procedures, or your request, you may contact the open records team at KORAREQ@louisville.edu.
The following open records are excluded from the application of KRS 61.870 to 61.884 and shall be subject to inspection only upon order of a court of competent jurisdiction (KRS 61.878):
- Public records containing information of a personal nature where the public disclosure thereof would constitute a clearly unwarranted invasion of personal privacy.
- Records confidentially disclosed to an agency and compiled and maintained for scientific research.
- Records confidentially disclosed to an agency,... generally recognized as confidential or proprietary, which if openly disclosed would permit an unfair commercial advantage to competitors of the entity that disclosed the records...
- Public records pertaining to a prospective location of a business or industry where no previous public disclosure has been made of the business' or industry's interest in [the location]...
- The contents of real estate appraisals, engineering or feasibility estimates and evaluations made by or for . . . the acquisition of property, until such time as all of the property has been acquired...
- Test questions, scoring keys, and other examination data...
- Records of law enforcement agencies or agencies involved in administrative adjudication that were compiled in the process of detecting and investigating statutory or regulatory violations if the disclosure of the information would harm the agency by revealing the identity of informants not otherwise known or by premature release of information to be used in a prospective law enforcement action or administrative adjudication. Unless exempted by other provisions of the Act, public records exempted under this provision shall be open after enforcement action is completed or a decision is made to take no action...
- Preliminary drafts, notes, correspondence with private individuals, other than correspondence which is intended to give notice of final action of a public agency.
- Preliminary recommendations, and preliminary memoranda in which opinions are expressed or policies formulated or recommended.
- All public records or information the disclosure of which is prohibited or restricted by federal law or regulation.
- Public records or information the disclosure of which is prohibited or restricted or otherwise made confidential by enactment of the general assembly.
7/92; rev. 06/21