1. A baccalaureate degree with a major in biology or closely related field, or any undergraduate degree with coursework that includes at least a one-year course in general biology, upper division courses in cell biology, genetics, and ecology, and one or more years of chemistry.
2. An undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or better
3. Submission of GRE scores. While there is no minimum requirement for GRE scores, competitive students usually have an average score around the fiftieth percentile or better. Composite MCAT or DAT scores are acceptable alternatives to the GRE for non-thesis MS applicants only. NOTE: SUBMISSION OF GRE SCORES IS OPTIONAL FOR ALL APPLICANTS THROUGH 2024. WE SUGGEST ONLY SUBMITTING SCORES IF THEY WILL HELP PROVIDE A MORE HOLISTIC PERSPECTIVE TO YOUR APPLICATION. GRE SCORES ARE NOT USED FOR FUNDING DECISIONS.
4. For foreign students from non-English speaking countries one of the following is required: 1) at least 83 on the TOEFL iBT (Internet Based Test); 2) a score of 6.5 or greater on the IELTS exam, or 3) a Duolingo score of 105 or above. Students holding a baccalaureate or advanced degree from an accredited institution in the United States are exempt from this requirement.
5. All Ph.D. and M.S. thesis students must have a faculty member agree to serve as a graduate advisor in order to be admitted to the program. M.S. non-thesis students can be admitted without an advisor, but must find an advisor by the end of their first semester in the program.