Professor, University of Louisville (U of L)
- Ph.D. in biology (neurobiology), December 1997, University of Alaska Fairbanks (UAF)
- B.S. in biology, May 1991, The University of Texas at Arlington
- Behavioral neuroendocrinology
- Effects of environmental signals (e.g., endocrine disrupting compounds, toxins, diet, photoperiod) on the central nervous system
- The avian song control system as a model for studying the neurological control of behavior
- Timing of multiple sclerosis symptoms in women
- Novel techniques to teach neuroscience in the K-12 classroom
- Professor, University of Louisville (2021 - present)
- Associate Professor, University of Louisville (2008 - 2021)
- Assistant Professor, University of Louisville (July, 2002-2008)
- Research Scientist, Tulane University (July, 2000 - June, 2002)
- NIH-NRSA Postdoctoral Fellow, Tulane University (January, 2000 - December, 2000)
- NIH-NRSA Postdoctoral Fellow, Tufts University (December, 1997 - December, 1999)
- Graduate Research Assistant, UAF (May, 1992 - August, 1996)
- Biology Department Honors Director, University of Louisville (Fall 2004 - present)
- Science Information Literacy and Oral Communication, instructor, U of L (Spring)
- Biology Honors Seminar, sophomore level, instructor, U of L (Spring and Fall)
- Behavioral Endocrinology, senior/graduate level, instructor, U of L (Spring)
- Endocrinology, senior/graduate level, instructor, U of L (Fall)
- Diversity of Life, freshman majors, co-instructor, U of L (Spring, 2012, 2016-2018)
- Environmental Signaling, senior/graduate level, instructor, U of L (Fall, 2004)
- Endocrine Pharmacology, graduate level, co-instructor, Tulane (Spring, 2001)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology, sophomore level, TA, UAF (Spring and Fall, 1995; Spring, 1996)
- Biology and Society, non-majors introductory biology, TA, UAF (Fall, 1992)
Continuing Education (special courses)
- Training for online teaching, 2020: Respondus, Panopto, Hybrid Course Design, iClicker Cloud, Tech Tools, Active Learning, Group Work
CECS 694-03, Current Topics in Bioinformatics, 3 credit hours, Fall 2016
- “Teaching Neuroscience for Long-Term Learning” workshop, Society for Neuroscience, 2008
- “Neural Systems & Behavior” course participant, Marine Biological Laboratory, 1998
- “Hands-on Neuroscience Activities” workshop participant, Society for Neuroscience, 1998
- “Responsible Conduct of Research”, full semester course, Tufts University, 1998
- “Applications of Unbiased Stereology to Neural Systems” course participant, 1996
- “How to Talk to Children in Schools” workshop participant, Society for Neuroscience, 1994
(note: my previous publications are in the name Cynthia Corbitt Gulledge; * = corresponding author)
Saha, S, P Roy, C Corbitt, and S Kakar (2021) Application of stem cell therapy for infertility. Cells 10(7):1613. https://doi.org/10.3390/cells10071613.
Smiley, K, JD Buntin, C Corbitt, P Deviche (2020) Central prolactin binding site densities change seasonally in an adult male passerine bird (Junco hyemalis). Journal of Chemical Neuroanatomy 106:101786. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jchemneu.2020.101786
Gustafson, R., C Corbitt, D Denenfeld, T Johnson, C Jimenez, and M Tristao (2019) Pilot data on effects of community dance for veterans with PTSD and their family members. Journal of Veterans Studies, 4(2):238–248.
Bamji, SF, E Rouchka, Y Zhang, X Li, T Kalbfleisch and C Corbitt* (2018) Next generation sequencing analysis of soy glyceollins and 17-β estradiol: Effects on transcript abundance in the female mouse brain. Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, Special Issue: ‘omics of nuclear receptors. 471:15-21. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.mce.2017.05.007. PubMed PMID: 28483703.
Bamji, SF, and C Corbitt* (2017) Glyceollins: soybean phytoalexins that exhibit a wide range of health-promoting effects. Journal of Functional Foods 34:98-105. doi: 10.1016/j.jff.2017.04.020.
SF Bamji, Page R, A Sanders, D Patel, AR Alvarez, C Gambrell, K Naik, AM Raghavan, ME Burow, SM Boue, CM Klinge, M Ivanova, and C Corbitt* (2015) Effects of soy glyceollins on transcription in the female mouse brain. Functional & Integrative Genomics 15(5):549-61. doi: 10.1007/s10142-015-0442-3. PubMed PMID: 25953511.
Gordon, EA, and C Corbitt* (2015) Investigation of pre-pubertal sex differences in mouse wheel running and social behavior in three mouse strains. Journal of Ethology 33:177-187, doi: 10.1007/s10164-015-0429-5.
- Satre, D, Kim Y-H, and C Corbitt* (2011) Androgen receptor location in the dark-eyed junco using a probe for in situ hybridization histochemistry generated from zebra finch cDNA. Journal of Neuroscience Methods, 201(1):180-184, doi:10.1016/j.jneumeth.2011.07.023.
Woods, J, P Deviche, and C Corbitt*(2010) Opioid receptor densities analyzed across seasons in the POM and VTA of the Dark-eyed Junco, Junco hyemalis.Journal of Chemical Neuroanatomy, 40(2):123-129, doi:10.1016/j.jchemneu.2010.05.002.
Zimmermann, MC, SL Tilghman, SM Boué, VA Salvo, S Elliott, KY Williams, EV Skripnikova, H Ashe, F Payton-Stewart, L Vanhoy-Rhodes, JP Fonseca, C Corbitt, BM Collins- Burow, MH Howell, M Lacey, BY Shih, C Carter-Wientjes, TE Cleveland, JA McLachlan, TE Wiese, BS Beckman, ME Burow (2010) Glyceollin I, a novel antiestrogenic phytoalexin isolated from activated soy. Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics 332:35-45.
Satre, D, MS Reichert, and C Corbitt* (2009) The effects of vinclozolin, an anti-androgen, on affiliative behavior in the Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis). Environmental Research 109:400-404.
Rougier, GW, and C Corbitt (2008) Book Review, Platypus, Fourth Edition. J Mammalian Evolution. doi: 10.1007/s10914-008-9078-6
Corbitt, C*, DA Satre, LA Adamson, GA Cobbs, GE Bentley (2007) Dietary phytoestrogens and photoperiodic response in male Dark-eyed Juncos (Junco hyemalis). General and Comparative Endocrinology 154:16-21.
Rougier, GW, A Garrido, L Gaetano, P Puerta, C Corbitt, and M Novacek (2006) First Jurassic triconodont from South America. American Museum Novitates, 3580:17pp
Ottinger, MA, C Corbitt, R Hoffman, N Thompson, E Russek-Cohen and P Deviche (2006) Reproductive aging in japanese quail, Coturnix japonica is associated with changes in central opioid receptors. Brain Research, 1126:167-175. doi: 10.1016/j.brainres.2006.08.110.
Salvo VA, SM Boué, JP Fonseca, S Elliott, C Corbitt, BM Collins-Burow, TJ Curiel, BY Shih, C Carter-Wientjes, CE Wood, P Erhardt, B Beckman, JA McLachlan, TE Cleveland, and ME Burow (2006) Anti-estrogenic glyceollins suppress human breast and ovarian carcinoma tumorigenesis. Clinical Cancer Research 12(23):7159-7164.
Dhananjeyan, MR, P Erhardt, and C Corbitt (2006) Simultaneous determination of vinclozolin and detection of its degradation products in mouse plasma, serum and urine, and rabbit bile by High Performance Liquid Chromatography. Journal of Chromotography A 1115:8-18.
Corbitt, C* and M Carpenter (2006) The nervous system game: A motor-kinesthetic activity introduces the principles of nervous system function. Science & Children 43(6):26-29.
Corbitt, C* and P Deviche (2005) Age-related differences in size of brain regions for song learning in adult male Dark-Eyed Juncos (Junco hyemalis). Brain, Behavior, and Evolution 65:268-277.
Corbitt, C* (2005) Book Review, Hormonal Chaos: The Scientific and Social Origins of the Environmental Endocrine Hypothesis. Archives of Sexual Behavior 34(3):362-364.
Gulledge, CC* and JA McLachlan (2004) Endocrine disrupters and male sexual differentiation. Encyclopedia of Endocrine Diseases, L. Martini (Ed.), 2:17-20, Elsevier.
Gulledge, CC*, ME Burow, and JA McLachlan (2001) Endocrine disruption in sexual differentiation and puberty: What do pseudohermaphroditic polar bears have to do with the practice of pediatrics? Pediatric Clinics of North America, 48:1223-1240.
Gulledge, CC*, PE Mann, M Bialos, RS Bridges, and Ronald P Hammer, Jr. (2000) Expression of μ-opioid receptor mRNA in the medial preoptic area of juvenile rats. Developmental Brain Research, 119:269-276.
Deviche, P and CC Gulledge (2000) Vocal control region sizes of an adult female passerine songbird brain change seasonally in the absence of detectable circulating testosterone concentrations. J. Neurobiol. 42:202-211.
Gulledge, CC* and P Deviche (1999) Age- and sex-related differences in opioid receptor densities in the songbird vocal control system. J. Comp. Neurol. 404:505-514.
Gulledge, CC* and P Deviche (1998) Photoperiod and testosterone independently affect vocal control region volumes in adolescent male songbirds. J. Neurobiol. 36:550-558.
Gulledge, CC* and P Deviche (1997) Androgen control of vocal control region volumes in a wild, migratory songbird (Junco hyemalis) is region and possibly age dependent. J. Neurobiol. 32:391.
Gulledge, CC* and P Deviche (1995) Autoradiographic localization of opioid receptors in vocal control regions of a male passerine bird (Junco hyemalis). J. Comp. Neurol. 356:408.
Deviche, P, P Cotter and CC Gulledge (1993) Identification, partial characterization, and hypothalamic distribution of κ, δ, and μ opioid receptors in a passerine songbird (Junco hyemalis). Brain Research 614:220.
GRANTS and SCHOLARSHIPS
- NIH R15 ES028440, “Developmental Cigarette Smoke: Impact on Offspring Gut Bacterial Microbiome”, 6/20/22 – 6/19/25. Role: PI.
- CPE Summer Bridge program in Cancer and Health Disparities Research (LR Kidd and C Corbitt, co-PIs), 5/2022 – 12/2022. Role: co-PI.
- Center for Integrative Environmental Health Sciences (CIEHS, UofL) pilot project grant, “Offspring hepatic response to gestational vaping exposure”, role: co-I (2021-2022).
- NIH R25 Training Grant, “UofL Bridges to Baccalaureate” (ULBB), role: co-I (2019-2024).
- KBRIN Next Generation Sequencing Pilot Grant, “Sex differences in neural effects of prenatal cigarette smoke exposure”, role:PI (2019).
- S|GNS Summit Travel Award (https://www.marchforscience.com/summit-about), (2018).
- NIH R15, “Developmental CSE: Impact on intestinal bacterial community development”, 2017 – 2020, no-cost extension to 2022, role: co-I.
- IRIG Undergraduate Research Grant, “Brain-derived neurotropic factor expression in a mouse model of autism” (2017).
- EPSCoR (NSF), Education Outreach and Communication Award, (2015).
- IRIG Research Initiation Grant, “Investigation of pre-pubertal sex differences in brain morphology, wheel running and social behavior in mice”, with Dr. Manuel Casanova (2014).
- KBRIN AREA/IDEA grant, “Mechanisms of soy glyceollin action in brain”. Role: PI, (2013 – 2015).
- Society for Neuroscience Chapter Grant, for Neuroscience Day activities for the Louisville Chapter of SFN, (2014)
- Society for Neuroscience Chapter Grant, for Neuroscience Day and Brain Awareness Day activities of the Louisville Chapter of SFN, (2012).
- Society for Neuroscience Chapter Grant, for Neuroscience Day and Brain Awareness Day activities of the Louisville Chapter of SFN, (2011).
- Center for Environmental Genomics and Integrative Biology Career Development Award (2011-2012).
- IRIG Project Completion Grant, "Effects of prenatal arsenic on post-pubertal testicular function", with Dr. Carolyn Klinge, Biochemistry & Molecular Biology (co-PI), (2011-12).
- Bayer Pharmaceuticals, multiple sclerosis study (2008-2011).
- IRIG Research Initiation Grant, “Phytoestrogen and Aging Effects on microRNA Expression in a Postmenopausal Model”, with Dr. Carolyn Klinge, Biochemistry & Molecular Biology (co-PI), (2010-11).
- IRIG Undergraduate Research Grant, “Effects of Estrogen and Phytoestrogens on Lung Matrix Proteins”, with Jeff Marschall (student), (2010).
- IRIG Research Initiation Grant, submitted 10/07, “Effects of Phytoestrogens on Lung Structure and Function in a Rodent Model of Aging”, with Dr. Andrew Roberts, Physiology & Biophysics (co-PI), (2008).
- Society for Neuroscience Public Education and Communication Committee travel award to present science education workshops at the National Science Teachers Association annual meeting (March 2008), awarded 10/2007.
- NIH, National Institute on Aging, “Effects of dietary phytoestrogens on the aging brain” (2005-2007)
- U of L IRIG Undergraduate Research Grant, “Neurotoxic effects of phytoestrogens on the aging brain and motor coordination” (2005)
- NSF, “NSF ADVANCE Fellows” (2002-2005), no-cost extension to 7/2006
- DOD (Co-investigator), “Potential therapeutic use of glyceollins (I-III), novel anti-estrogenic isoflavonoid phytochemicals isolated from soy”(2002-2005)
- U of L IRIG Undergraduate Research Grant, “Neurochemical control of maternal behavior” (2003)
- NIH National Research Service Award (1997-2000)
- Marine Biological Laboratory, tuition scholarship for summer course (1998)
- NSF Dissertation Improvement Grant (1996)
- UAF Thesis Completion Fellowship (1996-1997)
- Sigma Xi Grants-In-Aid of Research (1993 & 1996)
- UAF Chancellor's Fellowship (1992-1994)
- Travel Grant, UAF Department of Biology and Wildlife (1994 & 1996)
- Travel Grant, UAF Institute of Arctic Biology (1994 & 1996)
- UAF Graduate School Travel Grant (1993)
- Molly Carpenter, M.S. program, non-thesis, graduated Fall 2003
- Monica Unseld, Ph.D. program, graduated Summer 2008
- Danielle Satre, Ph.D. program, graduated Summer 2008
- Gregory Frazier, M.S. program, non-thesis, graduated May 2006
- Karen Powell, D.V.M., Ph.D. program, graduated Summer 2010
- Shakira Blanton, accelerated M.S. program, non-thesis, graduated May 2008
- Mason Madsen, M.S. program, non-thesis, graduated Summer 2007
- Andrew Vonberg, M.S. program, non-thesis, Summer 2007
- Anne Oliphant, M.S. program, non-thesis, graduated May 2008
- Shane McDonald, M.S. program, non-thesis, graduated Spring 2009
- Erin Davis (now Shariff), M.S. program, non-thesis, graduated Spring 2009
- Nathaniel Cole Phelps, M.S. program, non-thesis, graduated Summer 2010
- Veronica Rodriguez, M.S. program, non-thesis, graduated Spring 2011
- Kari Smith, M.S. program, non-thesis, graduated Spring 2012
- Sanaya Bamji, Ph.D. program, graduated Summer 2016
- Caitlin Gambrell, M.S. program, non-thesis, graduated Fall 2012
- Kendall Stocke, M.S. program, non-thesis, graduated Spring 2013
- Elizabeth Gordon, Ph.D. program, graduated Fall 2016
- Courtney Rinehart, M.S. program, graduated Fall 2015
- Jordan Minor, M.S. program, graduated Summer 2016
- Mohammad Ghifardi, M.S. program, graduated Spring 2015
- Dylan Collins, M.S. program, graduated Fall 2016
- Oghenemine (Mine) Obrik-Uloho, M.S. program, graduated Spring 2017
- Alexandra Jacob, M.S. program, graduated Summer 2016
- Corinne Brown, M.S. program, graduated Spring 2020
- Isaiah Burciaga, PhD program, Fall 2021 - present
Independent Study Students
- Anna Jean Nicole Dallaire, Fall 2002
- Karen Maynard, Fall 2002
- Elizabeth Ssebayigga, Spring 2003
- Ashley Hammerbeck, Spring 2003 (via IRIG URG award)
- Rebecca Erin Roberts (now Lopez), Summer 2003
- Leah Nicole Jones, 2003-2004
- Shakira Blanton, Summer 2004 (via IRIG URG award)
- Elaina Chambers, Spring 2006
- LaKesha Rhodes, Summer 2006
- Shafeeq Sheikh, Summer 2006
- Allison Wheatley, Fall 2006
- Michael Giurgevich, Fall 2006
- Angy Mounier, Spring 2007
- Mirna Bajramovic, Sum 2006 -Spr 2008, senior honors thesis
- Jared Woods, Fall 2006 -Spring 2008, senior honors thesis
- Amanda Nicole Alexander, Spring 2008
- Jessica Drews, Summer 2008 (via SROP)
- Cohin Kakar, Fall 2008
- Jeff Marschall, Summer 2008 - 2011 (via SROP & IRIG URG award), senior honors thesis
- Ashley Mahan, Fall 2008 - Spring 2009
- Kathryn Harman, Spring 2009 - present
- Marion Naddeo, Summer 2010 (via Montpellier student work exchange program)
- Dharti Patel, Fall 2011 - 2015
- Alejandro Alvarez, Fall 2011 - 2013 (via CODRE award)
- KunteshNaik, Fall 2011 - 2013 (URS award recipient)
- Ashwin Raghavan, Fall 2011 - 2013 (URS award recipient)
- Alexia Sanders, Spring 2012 - 2013 (URS award recipient)
- Kimberly Bencker, Summer 2013 - 2015 (KBRIN URA)
- Jeffrey Chalfant, Summer 2014 – 2015
- Tasneem Karim, Fall 2014 – 2018 (KBRIN URA & Woodcock Medal winner)
- Michael Warner, Fall 2014 – 2015 (KBRIN URA)
- Samuel Dugan, Spring 2015 – 2017 (URG awardee)
- Kristen Hamilton, Fall 2015 – 2017
- Ernesto Pena Calderin, Fall 2015 – 2016 (URS awardee)
- Destiny Duvall (postbac), Fall 2015 – 2016
- Emily Bryan, Spring 2016 – 2016 (URS awardee)
- McKenzie Ballard, Summer 2018 – 2019
- Meagan Kinard, Summer 2018 – 2020
- Isaiah Burciaga, Fall 2018 – 2020 (Undergraduate Summer Program in Cardiovascular Research awardee)
- Ashton Mallory, Spring 2019
- Addison Jones, Spring 2020 – Spr 2021
- Bishakha Kumari, Spring 2020 - 2021
- Samantha Underwood, Spring 2020
- McKinley Fisher, Fall 2020 – 2021
- Sofia Brown, Fall 2020 – Spr 2021
- Daniel Erickson, Spring 2021
- Crystal White, Summer 2021 (ULBB, co-mentored with Dr. Rachel Neal)
- Katelyn Chism, Summer 2021 – present (ULBB, co-mentored with Dr. Rachel Neal)
- Lucas Georges, Summer 2021 – present
- Megan Jacobs, Spring 2022 - present (ULBB)
- Anna-Lee Harris, Summer 2022 (CHD)
- Shinetha Harrison, Summer 2022 (ULBB)
PROFESSIONAL and COMMUNITY SERVICE
- Ad hoc reviewer for: Archives of Sexual Behavior; Behavioural Brain Research; Brain Research Bulletin; Cell Biology & Toxicology; Comparative Biochemistry & Physiology; Ecotoxicology & Environmental Safety; General & Comparative Endocrinology; Journal of Chemical Neuroanatomy; Journal of Neurobiology; Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews; Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology; PLoS ONE; Reproduction, Fertility & Development; Reproductive Toxicology
- Editorial Review Board, Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, Fall 2018 – present
- Content consultant for “Teen Challenges: Puberty”, a book geared toward young teenagers, by Marcia Amidon Lusted, Abdo Publishing, Summer 2020
- Kentuckians for Science Education (KSE), Board Member, 2021 - present
Internal Advisory Committee member, Center for Integrative Environmental Health Sciences (CIEHS, States), Spring 2022 – present
Ad hoc grant proposal review for Tobacco-Related Disease Research Program; National Science Foundation; Indo-US Science & Technology Forum of the Smithsonian Institution
- IACUC member, 2007 - present
- Alpha Epsilon Delta (pre-health professions honor society) advisor, 2017 – present
- Departmental Diversity Committee, member, Fall 2017 - present
- Anti-racism journal club participant, Summer 2020 – present
- Advisor for Louisville Tango Festival Endowed Scholarship for Hispanic/Latino students, 2017 - present
- March for Science Louisville, organizing committee member 2017, 2018
- Departmental Awards Committee, chair, August 2016 – present
- Integrated Program in Translational Neuroscience (IPTN) Admissions & Advisory Committee, 2014 – present
- President-Elect, President, Past-President, Society for Neuroscience Louisville Chapter 2014 - 2017
- Treasurer, Society for Neuroscience Louisville Chapter, 2010 - 2014
- Secretary, Society for Neuroscience Louisville Chapter, 2007 - 2010
- Member, Brain Awareness Week Committee, public outreach, 2009 - 2019
- U of L, Senior Honors Thesis Committee, 2005 - 2011, 2020 - present
- Campus Fulbright Scholar review committee, 2009
- Mary Churchill Humphrey scholarship committee, 2010
Volunteer for Dancing Well: the Soldier Project, 2016 – 2020, https://youtu.be/jVsKnJvHk2Q
Kentucky Academy of Science Annual Meeting Local Site Committee member, 2007
Kentucky Academy of Science Committee on Science Education member, 2007
Kentucky Academy of Science (KAS) legislative review team, January 2022 – present
Member, American Physiological Society Local Site Team for teacher education, 2006
Core Faculty, Environmental Signaling Network, developed course/workshop to introduce topic to scientists/teachers outside the field, 2003-2010
- Career Workshop Facilitator, Center for Bioenvironmental Research, Tulane Univ., Oct 2009
- Science Fair judge: Alaska Statewide High School Science Symposium, New Orleans Science Fair, St. Francis of Assisi School science fair (Louisville), duPont Manual HS Regional Science Fair (Louisville), Kentucky Junior Academy of Science finals (Campbellsville, Lexington)
- Workshop on Grant Writing, for graduate students, U of L
- Chair, Student Special Symposium, 8th International Symposium on Avian Endocrinology, 2004
- Short Course for High School Students, Society for Neuroscience Annual Meeting, 2004
- Organizer, “Environmental Signaling and the CNS”, satellite symposium of SFN annual meeting, November 2000, New Orleans
- Science education visits to K-12 classrooms, ongoing
- “Scientists Who Wear Nail Polish”, STEM initiative for girls, participant, 2008
- SPRITE mentor (program for minority undergraduates to do research at Tulane), 2000
- Mentor in NIH program to introduce minority high school students to research, 1996-97
- Earth Quest instructor (biological education program for rural AK Native students), 1996
- Founding member, UAF Biology & Wildlife Graduate Student Organization, 1995
- Volunteer conversational English teacher for International students, 1987-2002