We've recently published the paper that Dr. Abbott wrote along with former U of L students Meagan Floyd and Michael Zeller, as a result of their research in Malaysia in the summer of 2013, studying the situation of Burmese refugees in Malaysia.
Below is a list of peer-reviewed journal articles, book chapters, and conference/workshop papers facilitated by funds provided by the Center for Asian Democracy.
Dr. Jason Abbott, CAD Director, Associate Professor of Political Science
- 2013a, with John Wagner Givens and Andrew MacDonald, “New Social Media and (Electronic) Democratization in East and Southeast Asia: China and Malaysia Compared.” Taiwan Journal of Democracy, forthcoming.
- 2013b, with Kevin Fahey, “The State and Direction of Asian Comparative Politics: Who, What, Where, How?” Journal of East Asian Studies, forthcoming.
- 2013c, “Introduction: Assessing the Social and Political Impact of the Internet and New Social Media in East Asia,” Editors Introduction to special issue of Journal of Contemporary Asia, Issue 4.
- 2012a, “Cacophony or Empowerment? Analysing the impact of New Information Communication Technologies and New Social Media in Southeast Asia”, Journal of Current Southeast Asian Affairs, 4:1, pp. 3-32.
- 2012b, “Democracy@internet.org Revisited: analysing the socio-political impact of the Internet and new social media in East Asia”, Third World Quarterly, Vol. 33, No. 2, pp. 333-358.
- 2012c, “Social Media”, In Kersting, Norbert (ed), Electronic Democracy (World of Political Science: The Development of the Discipline Series), Leverkusen, Barbara Budrich.
Dr. Charles Ziegler, Professor of Political Science
- “Neoclassical Realism and Russian-American Relations: Context, Control, and Capabilities,” Kentucky Political Science Association, Lexington, KY, March 1-2, 2013.
- “Interests vs. Ideology in U.S.-Russian Relations: Lessons from an Earlier Era,” ISA Midwest annual meeting, St. Louis, MO, November 2-4, 2012.
- “Interests and Ideology: U.S-Russian Relations in an Earlier Era,” International Politics, forthcoming.
Dr. Rodger Payne, Professor of Political Science
- “Cooperative Security as U.S. Grand Strategy in the Indian Ocean Region,” International Studies Association Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA, April 2012.
Dr. Andrew Zhao, Assistant Professor of Anthropology
- “Second Generation Women in Chinese Business Families,” to be presented at the 19th ACCPSS International Conference, November 2013.
Dr. John Wagner Givens, Post-Doctoral Research Associate
- “Studying Dragons: How to Improve Empirical Research on China’s Legal System” ” European China Law Studies Association Annual General Conference, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK, September 2013.
- “The Internet with Chinese Characteristics: Democratizing Discourse but not Politics” American Political Science Association Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA, August 2013.
- “Suing Dragons?: Taking the Chinese State to Court” Midwest Political Science Association Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, April 2013.