The Playhouse

outside Playhouse Theatre

inside Playhouse Theatre

seating of Playhouse Theatre

Built in 1874, the current Playhouse originally served as a small, interdenominational chapel for a local orphanage. In 1923, the University of Louisville acquired the land on which the chapel stood, converted the structure into a theatre, and designated it a "temporary building" for use until a permanent theatre could be erected.

In 1977, The Playhouse was dismantled to make room for the construction of the William F. Ekstrom Library and Learning Resources Center. The building was systematically taken apart and safely put into storage.

Rebuilt in 1980 on the traffic island between 2nd and 3rd streets at Cardinal Boulevard, The Playhouse was expanded to include a basement and full-working scene shop. It is also the location of the offices of the Production Manager/Technical Director, Resident Scenic/Lighting Designer, and Technical Production Supervisor.

The Playhouse is located on the corner of Cardinal Boulevard & 3rd Street. Metered street parking is available along 3rd Street and Cardinal Boulevard. Parking in the university parking lots located on 3rd Street is free after 7:30 PM weekdays and all day on weekends.

1911 South Third Street
Louisville, KY 40208
502-852-7926