KATC Professional Development
Autism and Early Childhood Education Professional Development Webinar Series
This training series has been approved for continuing education credits thought the Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services, Division of Child Care and education leadership credits from the Effective Education Leadership Act (EILA). *Certificates of attendance will also be provided upon completion of the training.
Early Childhood Development & Autism
Participants will gain an understanding of the core deficits for individuals with autism and will be able to identify the red flags for potential autism diagnosis exploring neurotypical child development and the developmental milestones outlined by the CDC.
Environmental & Instructional Supports for Students' with Autism in the Preschool Classroom
Participants will be introduced to class wide organizational & instructional tools such as activity matrices, staff matrices, visual supports, and general environmental arrangement strategies for supporting students with autism in an inclusive preschool classroom.
Systematic Instruction in the Preschool Classroom
Participants will be introduced to the most basic instruction (direction given, student response, and consequence), prompting, and errorless learning strategies. Also the need for teaching skills discretely as well as embedded (decontextualized vs. contextualized) and how to determine what skills to teach when, where, and how will be discussed.
Foundations of Autism Disorder Online Course
Foundations of Autism Spectrum Disorders Online Course
(approximately 8 hrs)
Foundations of Autism Spectrum Disorders is an online course designed to provide basic information about autism spectrum disorders that will serve as the foundation for providing evidence-based practices. This course was developed by the National Professional Development Center on Autism Spectrum Disorders.
- Session 1 Historical Background and Classifying and Defining Pervasive Developmental Disorders and Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Session 2 Characteristics of Individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Session 3 Assessment for Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Session 4 Guiding Principles
- Session 5 Factors that Affect Learning and Development
- Session 6 Instructional Strategies and Learning Environments
- Session 7 Foundations of Communication and Social Interventions
- Session 8 Promoting Positive Behavior and Reducing Interfering Behaviors
The Foundations of Autism Spectrum Disorders online course is FREE. To enroll in the online course visit Kentucky Autism Training Center Online Community.