Biology NSF REU Main
Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) Program in Plant Biology at the University of Louisville
The National Science Foundation-funded Plant Biology REU program is a 10-week program that gives undergraduates an immersive research experience in one of five plant research laboratories at the University of Louisville. Additional educational activities help prepare students for graduate school and beyond. Students are matched with a researcher in their field of interest. Areas of research include biochemistry, development, ecology, genetics, genomics, and molecular biology.
2014 Program dates
The 2014 program is a 10 week program that runs from Tuesday, May 27 to Friday, August 1.
- Immersive laboratory and/or field research experience.
- A "lab rotation" program to give students exposure to techniques and instrumentation available in the biology department.
- Weekly meetings, including lectures and group discussions led by faculty on key issues in biology.
- Educational activities and career preparation, including safety training, ethics training, and training on scientific writing and presentation.
- Joint activities with students participating in diverse on-campus summer research programs.
- Optional participation in Garden Commons, an urban garden program developed by the cultural center on the University of Louisville campus.
- Participation in the Intern Symposium at the end of the term.
Stipend, Meals, Travel, Housing
The stipend for 2014 is $5000. Students are also provided with a $600 meal allowance and $600 travel/commuting allowance, for a total compensation of $6200.
Free on-campus housing is available for participants of the program.
We will begin considering applications on March 1, 2014 and will continue until all positions are filled.
Students must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents to be eligible for funding through this program.
Students must be enrolled as an undergraduate at an accredited baccalaureate degree granting institution in the Fall 2014 semester.
Students must be available for the duration of the program (May 27-August 1, 2014).
Students must not have previously participated in the University of Louisville Plant Biology REU program.
If you have any questions about the program or the application process, please contact Dr. Mark Running at firstname.lastname@example.org or (502) 852-3409.