The 550 Clinic assists in the diagnosis and management of patients at the University of Louisville and Veterans Administration hospitals, as well as outpatient clinics at the University of Louisville (550 Clinic). Physicians, nurse practitioners, and physical assistants also assist with management of HIV infected individuals in the prison and jail system through the Kentucky TeleHealth Network.
The 550 HIV Clinic is a federally funded outpatient medical clinic for HIV+ individuals.
The 550 Clinic (previously WINGS), part of the University of Louisville Health Sciences Center, was founded in 1995, focusing first on women, and received federal funding in July of 1999, expanding medical services to men and all people infected with HIV living in a 7-county region and portions of Southern Indiana. Funding for services comes to the University of Louisville Research Foundation from two federal grants under the Ryan White CARE Act. The CARE (Comprehensive AIDS Resources Administration) Act is the congressional legislation, which is intended to help communities and states increase the availability of HIV-related primary health care and support services. The purpose of this Act is to reduce utilization of more costly inpatient care, increase access to care for underserved populations, and improve the quality of life of those infected and affected by AIDS. In 2001, UofL Research Foundation was awarded a second grant for the delivery of HIV medical care and services that specifically targets women, adolescents, and families who are both infected and affected by HIV disease.
- HIV counseling & testing services
- Primary HIV medical services
- Client advocacy/financial eligibility services
- Mental health screening, assessment, treatment, referral and case management
- Substance abuse screening, assessment, treatment, and referral
- Nutritional assessment and referral
- Oral health care referrals
- On-site consultations with a pharmacist regarding medication adherence education and evaluation of medication tolerability
- Referrals to other specialty care within the UofL medical clinics
- Access to clinical trials