Frequently Asked Questions

What are the requirements for becoming a resident?

The Council on Postsecondary Education provides the regulation which governs the determination of residency status for admission and tuition purposes in the public colleges and universities in the state of Kentucky.  All persons seeking a change in residency status should read this regulation.  The regulation is available on this web site and in the Registrar's Office.

How is a residency determination made?

The determination of residency status is made by the institution during the admissions process, and the determination is based on information available in the admissions records.  If the student disagrees with the initial determination, and the issues cannot be resolved directly with the Offices of Admission, a review of the determination of residency status may be requested.  The request for review is made by submitting a completed, signed, and notarized affidavit and all supporting documentation to the Registrar's Office within thirty (30)calendar days from the first day of class for the semester (Spring-Summer-Fall) you wish to appeal.

Can changing my residency impact my scholarships and financial aid?

If your residency status is changed your scholarships and financial aid will be reevaluated.  Awards that required a student to be a nonresident will be removed.

How long do I have to live in Kentucky to become a resident for tuition purposes?

Although certain presumptions about residency refer to a period of twelve (12) months, there is no specific time limit for establishing residency and domicile for a tuition and admission purpose.  The student is responsible for providing convincing evidence that residency and domicile have been established pursuant to Section 10 of 13 KAR 2:045.  All information submitted will be reviewed in terms of compliance with the residency regulation, and a written decision will be issued to the student.

I’ve been enrolled as a student for at least one year.  Will that affect my residency status in any way?

If a person’s initial act upon arriving in the state of Kentucky is to enroll more than half-time in an institution of higher education, the person is subject to presumptions of nonresident.  If a person applied for admission before moving to Kentucky, the person is subject to the presumptions of nonresident.  However, if an enrolled person can provide clear and convincing evidence of domicile pursuant to regulating sections of the residency policy, then consideration will be given to a change in residency status.

I have not yet been admitted to the University.  How do I find out whether or not I will be considered a resident for tuition and admission purposes?

The first step is to apply for admission to the University.  If you are admitted, you will be notified of your residency classification.  CAUTION: Once you are admitted to the University you should verify the conditions of your admission and your official residency status through the Student Servies tab in ULink. The Offices of Admission may request additional information to make the determination of residency.  If you are classified as a nonresident, and wish to appeal this determination, you may obtain appeal information, including the affidavit, suggested documentation, deadline and more from this website or the Registrar's Office.  A pre-applicant will benefit from reading the residency regulation, 13 KAR 2:045.

If I have a driver’s license and voter registration, will I be a resident?

Due to the ease and convenience in completing these acts of domicile, they have limited value in a determination that a person is domiciled in and is a resident of Kentucky.

My parents are divorced but one parent lives in Kentucky.  Although I was in the custody of the parent living out of state, I would like to attend the University of Louisville as a resident.  Is this possible?

If you are a dependent person, you may take the resident status of either parent, regardless of which parent claims you for income tax purposes or has official custody.  As a dependent person, you may assume the residency status of the parent who lives in the state of Kentucky.  In this situation, it will be necessary for you to provide documentation to verify that your parent living in Kentucky is a resident according to Section 10 of the residency regulation.

Does owning property in Kentucky qualify a person for resident classification for tuition purposes, although the person has not been residing in Kentucky?

Owning property, operating a business in Kentucky, or working in Kentucky, does not qualify a person as a resident for tuition and admission assessment purposes. "Domicile" means a person's true, fixed, and permanent home and is the place where the person intends to remain indefinitely.

I am a member of the armed forces and stationed in Kentucky.  Will I be classified as a resident for tuition purposes if I enroll for classes at the University?

A member of the armed forces of the United States, or the spouse or dependent child of the member of the armed forces, stationed in Kentucky on active duty military orders shall be considered a Kentucky resident.   The military orders must state that the assignment is for a period of thirty (30) days or longer.  A copy of the military orders must be submitted to the Registrar's Office as evidence at the time of admission or when requesting a review of residency status. 

For periods of enrollment that begin after July 1, 2009, members of the armed forces (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard) on active duty for a period of more than 30 days and his/her spouse, and his/her dependent children will be eligible to receive in-state tuition at public colleges and universities in the state where they reside or are permanently stationed. Once a Service member or their family members are enrolled and paying in-state tuition, they will continue to pay the in-state tuition rate as long as they 1. remain continuously enrolled at the institution even if the Service member is reassigned outside the state 2. continue in the same degree program.


What must I do in order to be considered an independent person who can establish residency in Kentucky?

A person claiming independent status must document that they are not being claimed by a parent or other person as a dependent, or as an exemption for federal and state tax purposes, and the person must provide documentation of their ability to provide the necessary financial resources to provide for their own sustenance, as sustenance is defined in Section 1 of 13 KAR 2:045, without dependence on student financial aid or financial help for any other person.  The conditions for independence are included in the residency regulation along with definitions for “independence” and for “sustenance”.

How can I find out more information about residency?

Read the residency regulation which can be found in the left menu, 13 KAR 2:045. You may also find the regulation in the University's Offices of Admission and the Registrar's Office. This regulation is codified as an administrative regulation and is known as 13 KAR 2:045 “Determination of Residency Status for Admission and Tuition Assessment Purposes”