KY INBRE NIH R15 Virtual Grant Writing Workshop 2021
The Kentucky INBRE will again offer an intensive workshop on the development of National Institutes of Health (NIH) R15-Research Enhancement Award proposals. R15-REA grants are specifically designed to support research projects (three years- $300,000) in the biomedical and behavioral sciences conducted by faculty and students in colleges/universities and health professional schools that have not received more than $6 million in NIH research grants in four of the last seven fiscal years. Thus, faculty at nearly all colleges/universities in Kentucky are eligible.
The three main goals of the R15-REA program are: (1) to support meritorious research; (2) to strengthen the research environment of the institution; and (3) to expose students to research.
The workshop will be led by faculty and professional proposal development staff at Kentucky institutions that have been successful in competing for R15-REA grants.
Past attendees at this workshop have been successful in obtaining NIH funding and this workshop is required to be eligible for KY INBRE research grants.
- For registration information contact, Dr. Whitney Rogers, KY INBRE Project Director at email or (502) 852-3045.
- For additional workshop information, contact Dr. Bruce Mattingly, KY INBRE Program Coordinator (email).
This workshop is sponsored by the Kentucky IDeA Network of Biomedical Research Excellence (KY INBRE), which is supported by a grant from the National Institute of General Medical Sciences (P20 GM103436) of the National Institutes of Health.
The workshop will be conducted via Zoom and is free and open to interested faculty at all Kentucky public and private institutions.
REGISTRATION FOR THIS EVENT CLOSED on Monday, October 11.
- 9 am: Welcome & Introduction – Martha Bickford
- 9:15 am: Overview of NIH & Proposal Development Strategy – Bruce Mattingly
- 10 am: Break
- 10:15 am: Writing the NIH “R” Series Grant Application: Strategies and Structure – Kathy Grzech
- 11:45 am: Break for lunch
- 12:30 pm: Anatomy of an NIH R15 AREA Proposal – Bruce Mattingly/Whitney Rogers
- 1:15 pm: Break
- 1:30 pm; Budget Development – Mark Bardgett
- 2 pm: Break
- 2:15 pm: Rigor and Reproducibility: Current NIH Expectations – Kathy Grzech
- 3:15 pm: Break
- 3:30 pm: Understanding Reviews and Writing Responsive Revisions – Mark Bardgett
- 4 pm: Break
- 4:15 pm: INBRE Resources – Martha Bickford, Arny Stromberg, Whitney Rogers
- 4:45 pm: Adjournment