International Travel

Out of Country Travel Procedures

Do not purchase airfare or make lodging arrangements until you have received authorization from the International Center. Authorization may be obtained by submitting the following forms:

  1. Request for Authorization of Out-of-Country Travel” form (PDF).
    • Be sure to answer “How will your University responsibilities be covered during your absence?” include name of person covering.
    • List all funding sources and obtain approval of accounts.
    • Obtain signatures – yours and department head or supervisor, and dean
    • There are additional requirements for travel to CDC Level 2 or 3, Travel Warning, or U.S. Department of Treasury Sanctions countries.  Please see flowchart (PDF) for information.
  2. “Release and Assumption of Risk” form (PDF) and obtain appropriate signatures. Read the bulletin "Tips for Travelers and Students Studying Abroad."
  3. “Overseas Emergency Information Sheet (PDF)."
    Effective 5/15/15 the Office of Study Abroad and International Travel (OSAIT) will no longer be collecting passports for faculty/ staff/ EAM/ community members traveling internationally.  The OSAIT WILL collect passports for undergraduates and graduates traveling internationally.
    Please make sure that you have reviewed the requirements relating to travel and entry documentation (passport, visa, etc.) for your destination country.  If you need assistance with making this determination, please contact Anthony Travel at 502-369-8400 or or the Controller’s Office at 852-8237.
  4. "University of Louisville Travel Certification (PDF)."  Questions concerning this should be directed to William A. Metcalf JD, Director of Export and Secure Research Compliance.

International Travel FAQ (PDF)

Once these forms are complete and have approval signatures from department chair and Dean, forward to Rebecca Dixon, 101 Brodschi Hall, at least 30 days prior to scheduled departure.

Once you have received pre-approval, you may proceed with the purchasing of air tickets and lodging.  After these have been purchased, please forward the information to Rebecca Dixon, 101 Brodschi Hall or scan and send to Faculty and Staff International Travel Service Account.  Once all travel itinerary is complete provost approval will be sent.


As you prepare your travels, check to determine if the country you are visiting is on the Travel Warning List of the U.S. State Department or on the Travel Alert List.

If it is on either list, then please read the University Policy for travel to Travel Warning Countries for procedures to follow. The traveler is required to submit the Travel Warning Release and Assumption of Risk form, a statement of support from the Dean, in additional a paragraph from you saying how you will mitigate your risks while you are in the travel warning country. For questions, please e-mail Rebecca Dixon or call 852-0295/852-0297. Requests to travel to travel warning countries or countries on the CDC Travel precaution list require an additional 15 working days to process.

Overseas travel insurance is required for all trips, and is available through the Office of Study Abroad and International Travel. University Travel Guidelines state that this travel insurance maybe reimbursed. For more information, go to our insurance page. Questions concerning the enrollment process should be directed to Melissa Lee . Coverage questions should be directed to Virginia Hosono.

Out of Country travel may not be reimbursed unless these procedures are followed as stipulated in the "Travel & Reimbursement Policy" approved by the Board of Trustees and effective 6/01/99.