policy Flex-Year Positions modified Mon Oct 31 2022 11:39:07 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
University of Louisville
May 1, 1992
This policy applies to University Staff.
This policy provides exempt employees with flexible work schedules which are adapted to the cyclical work load and the needs of employees of the unit for greater cost effectiveness and improved morale.
A Flex-Year position is a position established for a period of less than 12 months, or less than full-time, usually related to the support of academic programs.
- Units should review current workloads to determine if the establishment of a Flex-Year Position (positions established on a 9, 10, or 11-month basis at full-time or 12-month basis at 3/4 time or an equivalent variation) would provide an appropriate staffing pattern for their unit. Where a Flex-Year position appears appropriate, the possibility of such an arrangement should be discussed with the employee.
- A detailed description of the Flex-Year work schedule indicating the specific periods of employment should be prepared by the department. A copy of the document should be given to the employee and a copy forwarded to the Human Resources Department.
- Special consideration should be given in establishing new positions to determine if the position should be established as a Flex-Year position prior to initiating recruitment activities.
- Deductions for employee benefits for eligible exempt employees working less than 12 months will be based on a separate contribution schedule to provide continuous benefit coverage during the entire period of appointment.
- Any new exempt employee appointed to a Flex-Year position will be required to sign an agreement, initiated within the department, confirming acceptance of employment conditions associated with Flex-Year positions.
Vice President for Human Resources
RESPONSIBLE UNIVERSITY DEPARTMENT/DIVISION
215 Central Avenue, Suite 205
Revision Date(s): December 14, 2016; December 14, 2021 (minor edits); August 24, 2022 (minor edit)
Reviewed Date(s): March 8, 2016
The University Policy and Procedure Library is updated regularly. In order to ensure a printed copy of this document is current, please access it online at http://louisville.edu/policies.