Pol-Cellular/Mobile Device and Service Plan Policy
policy cellular cell mobile device service plan modified Wed Nov 11 2020 08:27:56 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
University of Louisville
Cellular/Mobile Device and Service Plan Policy
September 1, 2018
This policy applies to University Administrators, Faculty, and Staff.
REASON FOR POLICY
Cellular telephones and cellular-based wireless communications devices can be an effective resource for employees in the performance of their job duties. For employees who spend considerable time outside of their assigned office area, or who must be accessible outside of scheduled or normal work hours, a cellular or mobile device can be a significant benefit.
The preferred method of payment for business-related cellular devices is a stipend paid to the employee via the university’s payroll system per pay period. The stipend is intended to reimburse the employee for the business use of the device. The stipend is not intended to fund the cost of the device nor pay for the entire monthly bill.
University of Louisville, University of Louisville Research Foundation, and University of Louisville Foundation will not purchase cellular/mobile devices for employees. University of Louisville Athletics Association may purchase cellular/mobile devices for employees when it is considered necessary in order to comply with NCAA bylaws. Department Heads may approve and pay stipends to eligible employees for cellular telephones, cellular-based wireless communication devices, and cellular service plans based on business need for such equipment and services in the performance of their job duties. Use of funds for such stipends must be in accordance with any applicable rules or restrictions of the particular funding source. Employees receiving a stipend will not be reimbursed by the university for the purchase of personal device equipment nor for any service or other similar fees. Employees at the Assistant/Associate Vice President/Vice Provost (AVP) level (or equivalent) or above are not eligible for a cellular phone or data plan stipend.
Misuse, fraudulent use of, or fraudulent receipt of a cellular/mobile device or service plan stipend may result in progressive administrative and/or disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment and criminal prosecution. Failure to follow university policies regarding appropriate use of cellular/mobile devices while conducting university business may result in disciplinary action.
Cellular/Mobile Device Stipend Request Steps
- The employee should complete a Cellular/Mobile Device Stipend Request Form for supervisor approval on an annual basis.
- The supervisor will review the request and determine the level of reimbursement for which the requestor qualifies. The supervisor may require an employee to provide cellular device and service plan billing statements outlining the usage related to university business. If approved, the supervisor will send the request to the department head for final approval.
- The department head will review the request and send the approved request form to the business office of the respective department so that an X-pay form can be completed and forwarded to Human Resources.
- The employee is responsible for notifying the department head in a timely manner if personal cellular service is discontinued.
- The employee is responsible for purchasing cellular phone service and equipment and assumes the responsibility for vendor terms and conditions.
- The employee is responsible for cellular phone plan choices, service levels, calling areas, service and phone features (including security measures), termination clauses, and payment terms and penalties.
- The employee is responsible for the purchase, loss, damage, insurance, and/or replacement of cellular/mobile device equipment.
Supervisor and Department Head Responsibilities
- The supervisor is responsible for conducting a yearly review in May of the business need for a cellular/mobile device stipend.
- The department head is responsible for annual review and approval of the stipend.
- The department head is responsible for maintaining an inventory of all university owned cellular/mobile device equipment in use by the department and employees. The department head shall report the inventory to the Inventory Control Office annually.
Please direct questions related to existing university owned cellular/mobile devices or the acquisition of such devices to Procurement Services at 502-852-8223 and questions related to the stipend/allowance to the Controller’s Office at 502-852-7072.
Vice President for Finance and Chief Financial Officer
RESPONSIBLE UNIVERSITY DEPARTMENT/DIVISION
Original Date: Unknown
Revision Date(s): 11/11/2020 (minor revision)
Reviewed Date(s): 2/14/2020
The University Policy and Procedure Library is updated regularly. In order to ensure a printed copy of this document is current, please access it online at http://louisville.edu/policies.