Master of Science in Social Work
100% Online Degree
Educating Minds, Empowering Change
The Kent School of Social Work at the University of Louisville has been educating social workers since 1936 and now offers a Master of Science in Social Work (MSSW) degree completely online. The Kent School is committed to teaching the next generation of social workers, preparing them to promote social justice and be positive change agents in the fast-growing field of social work, and empowering them to help others lead a healthier, more productive and safer life.
As a graduate of the MSSW degree online, you will achieve a deeper, more complex understanding of social work, critically evaluating and contemplating the material while experimenting with the flexible application of the knowledge in a variety of contexts. Your skills and knowledge will focus around 1) children and families, 2) health and mental health, and 3) community and international practice.
The MSSW coursework focuses on helping students form methods and decision-making practices that promote social justice. Our curriculum draws from various teaching methods and theories including Cognitive Flexibility Theory, Critical Thinking model, Bruner's Spiral format, and Advanced Curriculum and Practice.
There are two options for earning a Master of Social Work degree online:
- Standard 60-hr MSSW - starting every fall (one start per year) Current and future social work professionals who have a bachelor's degree in any area of study other than Social Work can complete a 60 credit hours program and earn a Master in Social Work degree online, from the comfort of their home or office while working or/and taking care of their family.
- Advanced Standing 30-hr MSSW - starts summer and fall (two starts per year) Social work professionals who have already earned a Bachelor of Social Work within the last seven years may enroll in the MSSW online degree and complete a 30 credit hours program starting in Fall 2014. Applicants must have a minimum undergraduate coursework GPA of 3.0, and a minimum Social Work coursework GPA of 3.25.
Student enrolled in the Master of Science in Social Work may choose to specialize in the area of Psychosocial Oncology, Gerontology, Mental Health or Alcohol and Drug Counseling. Specialization courses will be offered online starting in Fall 2014.
MSSW Degree Quality
The MSSW degree offered by Kent School of Social Work at UofL is ranked as the #1 social work program in Kentucky, among the top 16% of all master's programs in the country, and among the top 28 public university social work programs in the country by US News & World Report. Our award-winning, nationally renowned and highly experienced faculty use their expertise to provide top-notch social work education in a web-based environment.
The online program's structure, quality and rigorous coursework mirror those in the on-campus program. The combination of online learning and real-world practicum (hands-on supervised field instruction, completed in the community of choice) helps our students gain valuable field-related knowledge as well as critical thinking, self-discipline and time management skills.
MSSW Online Degree Benefits
- Take all MSSW courses 100% online
- Gain relevant knowledge and skills for today's and tomorrow's social environment
- Transfer up to 6 credit hours of graduate coursework from other regionally accredited universities (some restrictions apply)
- Apply for available scholarships for working in gerontology, policy making or legislative areas
- Standard 60-hr students can complete their Masters in two, three, or four years
- Advanced Standing 30-hr students can complete their Masters in one or two years
- Get assistance with your degree planning from professional academic advisers
- The Master of Science in Social Work online program is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
- The University of Louisville is accredited by the
Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to
award associate, bachelor, master, specialist, doctoral, and first-professional
degrees (D.M.D., J.D., M.D.).