Follett Discover - Course Material Adoptions
All course material orders must be submitted to the official campus bookstore to ensure compliance with the federal government Higher Education Opportunity Act. This action allows students to see textbook and course material information as they register for classes and helps them receive more money at buy back.
Deadline to submit Fall course materials: April 15th
Deadline to submit Spring course materials: October 15th
Deadline to submit Summer course materials: March 15th
Follett Discover is a tool that provides hassle-free access for faculty and staff to research, discover and adopt course materials. Faculty should use Discover for all adoptions unless the material is not found in the portal. Instructions and FAQ are available at https://louisville.edu/contractadmin/bookstore/follett-discover-course-material-adoptions. You can also see a video overview at https://follett.com/video/follett-discover-the-faculty-experience. If you need assistance with this tool or cannot find the materials you need, please contact the Course Materials Manager, Sara Harvey, at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
The Course Materials Manager reviews and processes all adopted materials and changes before they are posted to the website. Most adoptions are processed within 2-3 days, but it may take longer around adoptions due dates. Materials will be "Pending" on Follett Discover until they are processed.
Processed adoptions update to our website within a few hours, and anyone can view that information. Go to the textbook portion of our website or click here, then select the term and course. If you want to be notified when your adoption is posted to the website, go to course, click "Email me" and enter your email. You will be notified when your materials appear.
For more information about the University's Follett Access program, visit https://louisville.edu/provost/undergraduate-affairs/follett-access-1/follett-access. Use the Follett Access Program Application to request for a class to be included in the program.
To submit adoptions on Follett Discover:
- Using your Chrome browser, log-in to Blackboard. Use the menu bar at left to go to Tools.
- Scroll down and find the link for "Follett Discover."
- If you have pop-up windows blocked, you will see an error message when the program tries to load. A button will appear to open Follett Discover. When you click on the button, Follett Discover will load in a new tab or window.
- In the new window, you will see all the courses associated with your Blackboard.* Courses for different semesters and different subjects within a semester are on different pages. Use the drop-down menus at the top of the screen to see or change your view, then click "Update."
Each class has its own box, and you will only be able to adopt for sections you are teaching. To adopt different material for different sections of the same course, click the "Manage by Section" link toward the top of the box.
- Click "I have no materials to adopt for this course" ONLY if you are not going to require any paid materials. If you decide to use material, let us know. Students may not leave room in their budget if we do not have materials listed on our site.
- To search for your adopted books by ISBN, use the box that says "13-digit ISBN" underneath the course information. Only enter numbers, no dashes or letters.
- If your ISBN is not found, click "request materials" and enter pertinent information on the next screen.
- Once adopted, materials are listed inside the box. They will be "Pending" until processed at the store.
- To remove or modify materials, click on the item, and use the menu on the right to change or remove the item.
* You can search by keyword, author, title, etc., in the search bar in the top right corner.
- Put quotation marks " " around an author name or title to use it as a single search term.
- If using courseware, include the name of the courseware (i.e.: Connect, MindTap, MyLab, etc.) and the title with the title in quotations.
- If you cannot find an ISBN that matches what the publisher provided, choose an option with the correct edition number.
- If you are using courseware and only adopt the book, your students will buy the wrong thing. They may not budget enough money for materials for your class and getting access and doing homework may be delayed.
- Click "View Details" for more information about the item and to add it to an adoption. Use the menus on the right side of the screen to adopt for a course. You can also:
- Choose "Add to My Library" to save it for later use.
- Choose "Manage Adoption for Multiple Courses" to adopt the same material for multiple course numbers.
- If you receive a "No search results" message, use the "request materials" link to send information about your materials through Follett Discover.
* If you do not see a class listed, check to see if it is listed in your Blackboard. Recent changes in the department must be made in Blackboard before adoptions can be submitted.
Any representative of a department can enter adoptions through a Follett Concierge account; please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to set up an account. If you have a Concierge account, go to https://louisville.follettdiscover.com to log in. Most of the directions for Follett Discover apply, but if anything is different or you have questions, reach out to Sara Harvey at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Late and inaccurate adoptions can have a significant negative impact on student success as they affect affordability and availability. Thank you for your cooperation and partnership with timely, accurate adoptions.