Call for Proposals - Electron Microscopy Assistance
We are soliciting proposals for assistance with electron microscopy projects. This will be in the form of a voucher to cover the costs of sample preparation, assisted electron microscope use at any of the 3 KBRIN network electron microscope facilities (UK, UofL, and WKU), and/or travel and lodging expenses to access a network facility (up to a maximum of $5000). We expect to fund up to 9 vouchers. Final funding commitments will be made pending availability of funds for the new KBRIN P20GM103436 funding cycle in Spring 2020.
Vouchers are available for Kentucky investigators interested in the use of electron microscopy to enhance their research programs and provide preliminary data for grant applications. Vouchers are to be used to cover the cost of sample preparation, assisted electron microscope use, or other associated training at any of the 3 KBRIN network electron microscopy facilities. Expenses for travel and lodging to access one of the network facilities may also be included in the budget. All other costs of the project are the responsibility of the investigator. Student involvement in the project is required. By accepting a voucher, principal investigators agree to provide a 1-page outcome summary within 12 months and agree to be available to give a presentation about their supported work during our annual Electron Microscopy Workshop. Prior to preparing an application, investigators are encouraged to contact the Associate Director of the electron microscope facility where the pilot project data is anticipated to be collected.
Applications will be evaluated for scientific merit, student involvement, relevance to public health, experimental design, and feasibility of sample preparation. Plans for publication and/or submission of data for grant applications should be mentioned. Subsequent publications or grant applications must include citation of NIH award P20GM103436. Projects that incorporate new preparation protocols and methods development are encouraged to apply.
Please submit the following documents – using NIH PHS398 forms and instructions:
- NIH Face page 1 form (does not need to be signed)
- NIH Project Summary page 2 form
- Research Abstract 1-page max that includes:
- Study title and objective with statement of relevance to public health
- Experimental design, including Species
- Type of tissue sample (e.g. tissue, cells, subcellular, cellular/metal interface)
- Fixation and staining methods
- Sample prep techniques required (e.g. liquid nitrogen freezing, sputter coating, ultrathin sectioning)
- Tool Type/Detectors required (e.g. TEM, SEM, EDS)
- Numbers of samples
- Anticipated image analysis
- Time frame when samples will be available
- Description of how the data will be used (e.g. grant proposal, publication, etc.)
Also submit as NIH format attachments:
- IRB approval notice, Human Subjects Protection section, Human Subjects Education certification, and Targeted/Planned Enrollment Table (if applicable).
- IACUC approval, Vertebrate Animal 5 points (if applicable)
Submit as email Word attachment to Martha Bickford (email@example.com) with the subject line “KBRIN EM Proposal 2019”.
5:00 pm (Eastern time) Friday December 20, 2019.
Investigators will be notified no later than 5:00 pm (Eastern) Monday January 20, 2020 with the results of the selection process. Approved vouchers will be processed on a first come, first served basis beginning May 2020.