The University of Louisville is proud to serve as the academic base
for students from more than 25 countries around the world. Our online
degree programs allow these and other students to complete world-class degree programs without ever entering a traditional classroom.
Information and resources for international students are available through the links listed below.
Admission requirements for international students
The directions below are specific to international students who will complete an academic program from their home country and will not enter the United States. International students do not need a U.S. visa to enroll in an online degree program as there are no on-campus requirements and the programs can be completed from outside the U.S. If you plan to enter the U.S. for coursework or for graduation, visit the undergraduate or graduate admission's website for a list of specific requirements for visiting the U.S.
International students should submit all documentation by the following priority application deadlines:
- Fall Semester (begins late August) - May 1 deadline
- Spring Semester (begins early January) - November 1 deadline
- Summer Term(s) (three short terms in May, June and July) - March 1 deadline
To see minimum standards for admission (i.e., required grade point average and test scores), visit the web site of your degree program.
Apply for admission
You can find a link to the application from the website of your degree program. You will pay an application fee as part of the online application($50 for undergraduate applications, $60 for graduate applications).
In addition to the requirements for undergraduate admission listed on the Apply Now page of each program’s website, undergraduate applicants must have all transcripts reviewed by either the World Education Services (WES) or Educational Credentials Evaluators (ECE) in order to submit a “course-by-course evaluation” to Undergraduate Admissions. An application for evaluation and a list of services and fees is available on their websites: www.WES.org or www.ECE.org.
In addition to the requirements for graduate admission listed on the Apply Now page of each program’s website, applicants must submit the specific documents required by the academic department for international students as listed below. Applicants to these programs must have all their transcripts reviewed by either the World Education Services (WES) or Educational Credentials Evaluators (ECE) in order to submit a “course-by-course evaluation” to Graduate Admissions. An application for evaluation and a list of services and fees is available on their websites: www.WES.org or www.ECE.org.
- Master of Arts in Higher Education Administration
- Master of Science in Human Resources and Organization Development
- Master of Science in Justice Administration
- Master of Education in Special Education
Applicants to these programs who have transcripts that are not in English must submit a verbatim English translation with each official transcript.
- Master of Engineering in Engineering Management
- Master of Science in Civil Engineering
- Master of Science in Computer Engineering and Computer Science
All international students for whom English is not their primary language must show English language proficiency by successfully completing one of the following:
- TOEFL examination: www.ets.org/toefl
- Minimum scores: 550 on the paper-based TOEFL, 213 on the computer-based TOEFL or 79-80 on the internet-based TOEFL
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) examination:
- Minimum score: 6.5
- International students who have earned a degree from an accredited college or university in the U.S. are not required to complete the TOEFL or IELTS.
All academic credentials should be mailed directly to the respective admissions offices:
Office of Admissions, Dept. AO
University of Louisville
Louisville, Kentucky 40292 USA
University of Louisville
Louisville, KY 40292 USA