Pro-Notifications of Charges and Other Fees Associated with Verification of Student Identity
procedure modified Wed Oct 12 2022 10:31:49 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
University of Louisville
Notifications of Charges and Other Fees Associated with Verification of Student Identity
October 21, 2021
This procedure applies to the University Community (administrators, faculty, staff, and students).
REASON FOR PROCEDURE
Per federal law and SACSCOC, institutions offering online education (hereinafter referred to as distance education) must have processes to establish that the student who registers in such courses is the same student who participates in and receives academic credit. In addition, the law requires institutions to notify students enrolled in such courses of any additional student charges associated with the verification of student identity at the time of registration or enrollment.
The University of Louisville notifies all students of projected charges and other additional fees in the Schedule of Classes. Registration for classes at UofL is an electronic process, and bills are generated based on the student’s course selections. Therefore, if any course requires a proctored exam or has other associated fees, students are notified upon registration for the class. The Schedule of Classes indicates that a proctor, if needed, may charge the student a fee. This is outlined at: https://louisville.edu/online/resources/exam-proctoring.
Students can view charges and other fees associated with a class when searching for a class within the Student Information System. When students login to their University of Louisville ULink account, they can search for classes by term. Any charges or fees associated with a class will appear as a class note for that class.
The information for those class notes is collected several different ways:
- Rolling of course and class information from the previous year, same term;
- Updates to the charges/fees provided by units as they update their class information each term; and
- Approved new, changed, or deleted charges/fees based on approval of the Provost following recommendations by the tuition/fee setting Committee.
Each semester, class and course fees are rolled by class from the current summer, fall, and spring semester to the future summer, fall, and spring semester. The following is a general timeline of events leading to the schedule of classes production:
- November: Classes (including class/course fees and class/course notes on fees) are rolled from the current semester to the next semester. For example, Summer 2021 would roll to Summer 2022; Fall 2021 would roll to Fall 2022; and Spring 2022 would roll to Spring 2023.
- November – March: The information for the schedule of classes is updated by the academic department/units. For example, as of March 2021, the schedule of classes was released for Summer 2021, Fall 2021, and Spring 2022. Classes that have fees have a class note regarding that fee.
- April: Any additional approved/deleted/changed fees approved by the Provost are added to the schedule of classes information via a class note.
The Registrar’s Office is responsible for the implementation of this procedure.
The academic units are responsible for providing updates to the fees associated with classes offered within their unit as they update class information each term.
Executive Vice President and University Provost
RESPONSIBLE UNIVERSITY DEPARTMENT/DIVISION
This procedure was approved by the University Provost on October 21, 2021.
The University Policy and Procedure Library is updated regularly. In order to ensure a printed copy of this document is current, please access it online at http://louisville.edu/policies.