procedure bomb threat modified Tue Feb 14 2023 15:23:37 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
University of Louisville
This procedure applies to the University Community (administrators, faculty, staff, and students).
The University of Louisville has established the following procedures in response to bomb threats:
- Bomb threats may be received by telephone, e-mail, or letter. If you receive a bomb threat, remain calm and obtain as much information as possible:
- Exact location of the bomb.
- When is it going to explode.
- What kind of bomb.
- Why it was placed here.
- Caller’s identify.
- Immediately call Public Safety at 911 or 502-852-6111. Provide them any information that you have received, specifically the location and the time the bomb is supposed to explode. Advise 911 you are located at the University of Louisville.
- If the threat was made in writing, do not handle the letter, or note, any more than necessary.
- Do not touch or move any unfamiliar objects and wait for police to arrive on the scene.
- The Building Emergency Coordinator (BEC) or Department Chairperson on site will determine if an evacuation is warranted. If the building is evacuated, account for all building occupants at the designated meeting area.
- The Provost or his/her designee will make all decisions regarding cancellation of classes.
UofL Chief of Police
RESPONSIBLE UNIVERSITY DEPARTMENT/DIVISION
University of Louisville Police
Floyd Street Parking Garage
Louisville, KY 40292
Revision Date(s): January 20, 2023
The University Policy and Procedure Library is updated regularly. In order to ensure a printed copy of this document is current, please access it online at http://louisville.edu/policies.