Pro-Asbestos Procedures for Contractor Projects & Responsibilities
procedure Asbestos Procedures Contractor Projects Responsibilities modified Mon Oct 03 2022 10:28:16 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
University of Louisville
Asbestos Procedures for Contractor Projects & Responsibilities
This procedure applies to: University Staff (Project Managers) and DEHS on Construction/Demolition Projects.
REASON FOR PROCEDURE
Safely handling, working with or working around asbestos, ACM or PACM requires training of site workers (contractors and sub-contractors) as well as approved and qualified remediation contractors. This procedure ensures responsible parties understand the requirements and expectations needed to satisfy asbestos regulatory requirements that effect projects conducted within Jefferson County.
Uof L Project Coordinator
- Contact DEHS to identify PACM & ACM at least 2 weeks prior to the beginning of the project. Contact the DEHS for inspection and testing, as mandated by Louisville Metro Air Pollution Control District, well in advance of bringing contractors or subcontractors on site for any demolition/renovation jobs. If ACM or PACM must be disturbed or removed to complete the desired renovation/repair, DEHS will arrange for asbestos removal by qualified personnel.
- Provide documentation of the contractor asbestos awareness class IV training.
- Provide DEHS with an appropriate speed type or work order number to cover the costs of asbestos testing and removal.
- Obtain written verification from the contractor (by signature on this form) that all the contractor’s employees and subcontractors working at UofL have been provided asbestos awareness class IV training. Provide verification documentation of training to DEHS.
- Ensure contractors or subcontractors do not disturb ACM or suspect PACM, nor to enter asbestos containment areas until clearance is received from DEHS.
Department of Environmental Health & Safety (DEHS)
- Provide inspection and testing for ACM & PACM upon request of UofL project coordinator.
- Assist UofL project coordinators as needed in determining scope of removal required when ACM must be disturbed.
- Provide asbestos abatement services via in-house or outside contractors utilizing KY state- accredited personnel. Oversee the work of asbestos abatement contractors.
- Provide clearance air monitoring, if required, and communicate results to UofL project coordinator.
- The Department of Environmental Health and Safety, as the University of Louisville representative for asbestos related issues, reserves the right to stop any work that creates the potential for injury to the health of its workers, or the potential for contamination of its facilities, or which is being conducted in an unsafe manner, or is in violation of the applicable regulations.
Senior Associate Vice President for Operations
RESPONSIBLE UNIVERSITY DEPARTMENT/DIVISION
Environmental Health & Safety
University of Louisville
Louisville, KY 40292
Revision Date(s):Version 1.1 – December 11, 2007; Version 2 – August 21, 2013
The University Policy and Procedure Library is updated regularly. In order to ensure a printed copy of this document is current, please access it online at http://louisville.edu/policies.