Pol-Tobacco and Vaporizing Products
policy tobacco vaporizing products modified Thu Mar 26 2020 18:02:49 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
University of Louisville
Tobacco and Vaporizing Products
November 8, 2010
This policy applies to the University Community (administrators, faculty, staff and students) and all visitors, including contractors and event attendees.
The University desires to provide a healthy working and learning environment for its employees and students. The use of tobacco products shall be prohibited everywhere on all campuses, inside buildings and throughout the grounds.
- The use of tobacco is prohibited on all property owned or leased by the University of Louisville, including all buildings, grounds, and parking lots.
- The use of tobacco is prohibited inside any privately-owned vehicle located on university property. Use of tobacco is prohibited inside any vehicle owned or leased by the university at all times and in all locations.
- When any person enters university property, any smoking material shall be extinguished and disposed of in an appropriate receptacle at the perimeter of the grounds of the university. All other types of tobacco product in use at the time of entry to university property shall also be disposed of in an appropriate receptacle at the perimeter of the grounds of the university. Signage will be posted throughout the campus to indicate that tobacco use is prohibited.
This policy is provided for the common good of the entire campus community. As such, the entire campus holds responsibility for its successful enforcement. Employees should encourage policy compliance by reminding those in violation of the policy that the campus is a tobacco-free environment. Organizers of public events on campus are responsible for communicating this policy to attendees. Habitual violators and/or those who become defiant shall be referred as follows:
- Student violators- Shall be referred to the Dean of Student’s Office. The Dean of Student’s Office will handle the situation in accordance with the Code of Student Conduct.
- Employee violators- Shall be referred to their supervisor who will handle the situation in accordance with the Disciplinary Action Policy.
REASON FOR POLICY
To provide a healthy working and learning environment for its employees and students.
For the purpose of this policy:
Tobacco refers to any and all tobacco products, whether inhaled or ingested, as well as electronic cigarettes and vaporizers.
Tobacco products include the use of cigarettes, e-cigarettes, cigars, pipes, smokeless tobacco, vaporizers, hookahs, and similar type products.
Associate Vice President for Human Resources/Chief HR Officer
RESPONSIBLE UNIVERSITY DEPARTMENT/DIVISION
1980 Arthur Street
Note: This policy replaces Smoking Regulations Policy PER-1.14.
Revision Date(s): February 24, 2017
Reviewed Date(s): February 24, 2017
The University Policy and Procedure Library is updated regularly. In order to ensure a printed copy of this document is current, please access it online at http://louisville.edu/policies.