Pol-Recycled Material Content
policy Recycled Material Content modified Thu Nov 10 2022 08:10:05 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
University of Louisville
Recycled Material Content
PUR - 10.00
This policy applies to University Administrators, Faculty, and Staff.
REASON FOR POLICY
As stipulated by KRS Law (45A.520, 45A.525, 45A.530), the University shall be required to institute policies and practices to stimulate the availability and use of recycled material content products which will educate the University campus about the value of recycling as a component of waste management.
As Applicable, the University shall, when purchasing goods, supplies, equipment, materials, and printing, require a minimum recycled material content for these goods, supplies, equipment, materials and printing. For example, all paper, paper products, and office supplies made of paper must contain a minimum recycled content of 50% recovered material and 10% post-consumer waste. Vendors will be required to complete and sign a certification of recycled material form.
The University shall require that every project financed fifty percent (50%) or more by bonds issued be undertaken with goods, supplies, equipment, materials, and printing which meet the requirements for recycled material content.
Procurement Services shall inform all vendors offering goods, supplies, equipment, materials and printing of the requirements for recycled material content.
The University shall prepare a report by January 1 of each year to the General Assembly and the Governor of Kentucky on progress in procuring products made from recovered materials. The report shall include:
- The recycled content percentages of the various products being purchased.
- Relative costs of virgin and recycled products.
- Sources of recycled products being purchased.
- Types of performance tests conducted on recycled products, the results, and actual experience.
- Organizations participating in cooperative purchasing and volumes of materials purchased.
- A list of products reviewed for changes in specifications relating to their minimum recycled content.
Recycled Materials Specifications:
Procurement Services prior to the issuance of an invitation for bid, quotation or request for proposal, shall review and revise specifications for the purchase of goods, supplies, equipment, material and printing to:
- Provide specifications that explain the recycled material content percentage requirements and definitions, for recovered material, mill broke, post-consumer waste. The University may require, to the extent practicable, every person entering into a contract for building, altering, repairing, improving or demolishing any structures or buildings or other improvements to any real property to use goods, supplies, equipment, materials and printing necessary to fulfill the contract which meet the United States E.P.A. requirements for recycled material content.
Non-recyclable materials may be purchased for goods, supplies, equipment, materials and print for which a recycled material content substitute is not available. The Department of Purchasing has the authority to justify specifications for goods, supplies, equipment, materials and printing which cannot be met by recycled material content substitutes.
Vice President for Finance and Chief Financial Officer
RESPONSIBLE UNIVERSITY DEPARTMENT/DIVISION
Sally Molsberger, Director – Procurement Services
Service Complex, University of Louisville
Louisville, KY 40292
Original Date: Unknown
Reviewed Date(s): February 14, 2020
The University Policy and Procedure Library is updated regularly. In order to ensure a printed copy of this document is current, please access it online at http://louisville.edu/policies.