Pol-Establishment of a New Position
policy policy establishment of a new position modified Mon Nov 28 2022 13:22:18 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
University of Louisville
Establishment of a New Position
May 1, 1992
This policy applies to University Administrators and Staff.
REASON FOR POLICY
The policy helps to ensure new administrator and staff positions are assigned to appropriate job classifications and pay grades and outlines the process to create a new position.
All new administrator and staff positions shall be reviewed and assigned to a job classification and pay grade by the Compensation Office of the Human Resources Department and established in accordance with the procedures outlined in this policy.
Steps to establish a new position:
- The unit, in which the position will function, shall develop a Job Description Form (JDF) providing detailed information on the proposed position.
- The unit shall prepare an Authorization to Hire Request Form, providing information on the funding source to be used to support the position.
- The unit will forward the JDF, Authorization to Hire Request Form and organizational chart through the OnBase approval process.
- The Compensation Office will review the information submitted, determine the appropriate salary grade level, title, and job classification code for the position, and discuss the assignment with the requesting unit.
- The requesting unit will enter salary and title information on the PAR.
- The Compensation Office will review and may approve the salary and title information on the PAR.
- The Compensation Office will forward the PAR and approval to the Office of Planning and Budget (OPB).
- The OPB will review funding arrangements, refer to Restricted Accounting in Grants and Contracts where appropriate, assign a position control number (PCN), and send the new PCN to the requesting department.
Vice President for Human Resources
RESPONSIBLE UNIVERSITY DEPARTMENT/DIVISION
215 Central Avenue, Suite 205
Revision Date(s): October 13, 2017 (effective November 30, 2017); December 10, 2021 (minor edits); August 24, 2022 (minor edit)
Reviewed Date(s): March 8, 2016; October 13, 2017
The University Policy and Procedure Library is updated regularly. In order to ensure a printed copy of this document is current, please access it online at http://louisville.edu/policies.