Pol-Continuous Creditable Service
policy Continuous Creditable Service modified Wed Nov 02 2022 09:27:04 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
University of Louisville
Continuous Creditable Service
May 1, 1992
This policy applies to University Administrators, Faculty, and Staff.
- Continuous service is employment without a break in service and includes all authorized leaves of absence with or without pay. Dismissal or voluntary resignation shall constitute a break in continuous service.
- Any employee who has attained regular status in any classification and who is separated due to a reduction-in-force shall be considered to have continuous service during the period of separation if reemployed within 18 months from the effective date of separation.
- Any employee who voluntarily resigns from employment in good standing and is subsequently reemployed shall be entitled to use previous continuous service in determining benefits eligibility for higher vacation leave credits in accordance with Section PER-4.04, Vacation Leave, except that previously earned, unused sick leave shall not be reinstated.
- When an employee is transferred, demoted, or promoted from one unit to another, there shall be no break in continuous service.
- Creditable (any/all employment periods which may be used toward entering the next higher rate of vacation leave) service accrues in each pay period. An employee accrues creditable service for each pay period in which the employee is in pay status for 50 percent or more of the pay period. (Employees working at least 40 percent FTE on July 1, 1990, will continue to accrue vacation leave on a proportional basis as long as they remain on at least a 40 percent FTE.)
- Creditable service shall apply only to vacation leave provisions of Section PER-4.04, Vacation Leave and employee recognition programs based on creditable service at PER 6.02, Employee Recognition Program.
Vice President for Human Resources
RESPONSIBLE UNIVERSITY DEPARTMENT/DIVISION
215 Central Avenue, Suite 205
Revision Date(s): January 1, 2011; December 20, 2017; December 14, 2021 (minor edits); August 24, 2022 (minor edit); October 27, 2022
Reviewed Date(s): November 12, 2015; May 5, 2017
The University Policy and Procedure Library is updated regularly. In order to ensure a printed copy of this document is current, please access it online at http://louisville.edu/policies.