How Much Will I Pay?
Tuition & Aid
This certificate does not qualify for financial aid. Students only enrolled in the non-degree certificate programs are not eligible to receive federal aid. Tuition rate does not include costs associated with a specific course or program, such as textbooks. Other fees apply.
- Learn to use artificial intelligence technologies to improve patient care and find innovative solutions to medical challenges
- Gain the ability to analyze biomedical data through modeling and computational tools, such as machine learning and deep learning.
- Take 1-3 courses at a time and complete your certificate in just 2 semesters.
- Connect and network with other professionals across the biomedical industry.
- Take advantage of 100% online format with access to courses anywhere, anytime and on any device.
- Courses may also partially satisfy graduate degree requirements.
START YOUR APPLICATION
100% ONLINE COURSES
No matter where you are in the world, advance your career with AI expertise from UofL.
The certificate program is made up of only 5 courses (15 credit hours). You can elect to take 1-3 courses at a time.
Complete the program in as little as 2 semesters.
"Biomedical data are now available in an overwhelming volume, and the potential benefits gained by using advanced technologies to manage and analyze these data are exponential. The primary goal of UofL’s AI in Medicine certificate is to prepare medical professionals and engineers to effectively use these technologies, and to improve patient care as a result."
HERMANN FRIEBOES, PH.D.
ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE IN MEDICINE
In the past decade, advancements in computing technology have converged with an exploding volume of biomedical data —calling for specialized experts who can turn this information into actionable plans for patient care. For example, the transition to collecting patient information from electronic medical records and the expansion of personal health data from connected medical devices (e.g., wearable monitors) require highly-specialized integration and analysis.
Students and graduates of the AI in Medicine online certificate program are prepared to lead this charge and successfully:
- Identify, formulate, and solve complex biomedical engineering problems by applying advanced principles of engineering, science and mathematics
- Apply engineering designs to create advanced solutions that consider public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental and economic factors
- Develop and conduct appropriate and ethical testing using scientific methods to collect, analyze and interpret biomedical data, and to use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
Graduates will have the required skills to seek employment for positions designing and managing the automated analysis of biomedical data with healthcare, insurance, pharmaceutical and laboratory employers.
|Preferred Application Deadline
Note: We admit students on a rolling basis. The preferred deadlines help you complete the application process on time, be notified of acceptance and enroll before the term begins. We review applications as they become complete, and admit students for a specific term up to the day classes start. We recommend you work on and submit your complete application well in advance of the preferred deadline, as obtaining transcripts and other materials may take more time.
Steps to Apply
- Complete online application
- Submit $40 application fee
- Submit official transcripts certifying an undergraduate degree earned from an accredited institution*
- Additionally, unofficial transcripts from all previously attended institutions should be uploaded within the application for thorough evaluation of prerequisite coursework.
- Check for Scholarships
START YOUR APPLICATION
For more information on the admission and application process, please contact our Online Learning Enrollment Counselor at 800.871.8635 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bachelor's degree in any field from an accredited college or university*
- The successful applicant will typically have an undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 or above (on a 4.0 scale)**
- Completion of BE 340 (Computational Methodologies in Bioengineering) or equivalent programming training/experience, as well as ENG 205 (Differential Equations in Engineering) or PHST 563 (Math Tools III) or equivalent.
- Students whose native language is non-English or the degree is from a non-US accredited institution are required to prove proficiency in the English language as specified for admission by the Speed School of Engineering.
GMAT/GRE scores are not required for admission.
Send all materials to:
University of Louisville
2211 S. Brook Street
Louisville, KY 40292
Prerequisite courses may be required
Due to this certificate consisting of a heavily engineering-focused curriculum, some students may need to take prerequisite courses in order to meet enrollment requirements, depending on previous education and/or work background. You will work closely with an advisor upon acceptance to the program to build out a path that prepares you to be successful in the program. Students lacking prerequisite courses may choose to take them at UofL or another institution before they are officially admitted to the program.
* See the UofL Transfer Credit Policy for more information.
** You may be admitted provisionally with a 2.75 GPA, but will need to maintain a 3.0 for the courses taken to satisfy the 15-credit certificate requirement.
The online Artificial Intelligence in Medicine Certificate consists of 5 courses (totaling 15 graduate credit hours), typically delivered over 15-week terms. You can choose from the following courses, with a minimum of 3 Bioengineering (BE) courses. The certificate can be completed 100% online, with additional course options (listed below) also available on-campus.
Most courses are offered each semester. Depending on your education and/or work background, some courses may have prerequisites that must be met prior to enrollment. We recommend working with your enrollment and faculty advisors to map out your degree path and ensure that your chosen courses can be completed in the timeframe that is right for you.
|Online Certificate Course Options
BE 524 LabVIEW for Bioengineers
BE 530* Machine Learning in Medicine Using Python
BE 540** Machine Learning in Medicine
BE 542 Medical Image Computing
BE 543 Computer Tools for Medical Image Analysis
BE 544 Artificial Intelligence Techniques in Digital Pathology
BE 640 Medical Image Analysis
BE 645 Artificial Intelligence in Radiomics
CSE 532* Python and Data Analytics
CSE 545* Artificial Intelligence
CSE 546** Intro to Machine Learning
CSE 547 Intro to Deep Learning Algorithm and Methods
CSE 590 Big Data Analytics Tools & Tec
PHST 620 Introduction to Statistical Computing
PHMS 641 Data Mining I
PHMS 642 Data Mining II
|Total Credit Hours
Note: Some courses may include assignments and projects in collaboration with researchers at the School of Medicine. Online students are expected to participate in these collaborations via teleconferencing and sharing of data and results. You are also welcome to come to campus, if it this is a feasible option.
* Only one of either BE 530 or CSE 532 can count towards the certificate.
** Only one of either BE 540 or CSE 546 can count towards the certificate.
Additional Courses Available On-Campus
BE 685 Modeling of Biological Phenomena
CSE 590 Introduction to Machine Learning
CSE 632 Data Mining
CSE 641 Medical Image Systems
CSE 660 Introduction to Bioinformatics
CSE 694 Current Topics in Bioinformatics
CSE 694 Topics in Advanced Machine Learning Theory & Methods
PHST 655 Statistical Methods for Bioinformatics
PHST 681 Biostatistical Methods
PHST 710 Advanced Statistical Computing
Courses Note: Only one of either CSE 632 or PHMS 641 can count toward the certificate.
START YOUR APPLICATION
What skills will this program help me learn?
Earning your graduate certificate in artificial intelligence in medicine will help enhance your ability to effectively analyze medical problems and interpret complex data. Through completion of this online certificate, you can acquire expertise in key areas of artificial intelligence—including computation, modeling and simulation, machine learning, big data and advanced statistical analysis—and their direct application to medical data management, medical imaging, disease progression modeling, experimental (clinical and laboratory) data and healthcare information.
Do I need to have a bachelor’s degree in a specific area?
A bachelor’s degree in any field from an accredited college or university is acceptable for entrance into the graduate certificate in artificial intelligence in medicine online program. However, the successful applicant will need an undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 or above (on a 4.0 scale). Students may be admitted provisionally with a 2.75 GPA but will need to maintain a 3.0 GPA or higher for all courses taken in the online graduate certificate in artificial intelligence and medicine program to satisfy the 15-credit certificate requirement.
Are the prerequisite courses offered online?
Yes, the prerequisite courses for the graduate certificate in artificial intelligence in medicine are BE 340 (Computational Methodologies in Bioengineering) or equivalent programming training/experience, as well as ENG 205 (Differential Equations in Engineering) or PHST 563 (Math Tools III) or equivalent. If a student does not meet the prerequisite requirements prior to being admitted into the graduate certificate in artificial intelligence and medicine program, it is recommended that they work with Leigh Ann Elles, Assistant Director of Engineering Graduate Programs at email@example.com to discuss options for enrolling in the prerequisite classes.
What are the career outcomes for someone with this certificate?
The online graduate certificate in Artificial Intelligence in Medicine is designed to prepare current and future medical professionals and engineers to master the analysis of biomedical data through advanced technologies. Some career options for students who graduate with a certificate in artificial intelligence in medicine include data science specialist, machine learning specialist, machine learning researcher, artificial intelligence specialist, artificial intelligence product manager and much more.