Jacob Banta, of Crestwood, Ky., is a member of the McConnell Scholar Class of 2024 at the University of Louisville. He plans to study civil engineering and political science.
Campus & Extracurricular Involvement
- Mecosta Circle Member, Intercollegiate Studies Institute
- Member, Third Avenue Baptist Church
- President, Campus Outreach Student Ministry
- President, Religious Life Student Association
- University of Louisville Spikeball Club
Internship & Work Experience
- Speed School Co-op with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in Geotechnical and Structural Engineering
- Summer Leadership Training and Short-Term Mission Trip in South Carolina, Campus Outreach Student Ministry
- Children's Ministry Volunteer and Assistant Coordinator, Third Avenue Baptist Church
- UofL Cardinal Cupboard
- Louisville Parks and Recreation
- SOUL Day of Service
Jacob is a graduate of South Oldham High School where he served as class treasurer, junior varsity soccer captain and a leader with the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and Link Crew. He earned several awards, including the Kentucky Youth Assembly Outstanding Speaker, Kentucky United Nations Assembly Outstanding Speaker, Senior Leadership and Coach's Awards for varsity soccer and the Kentucky Parent Teacher Association Reflections Award of Merit in Literature. He is the son of Mark and Sherry Banta.
Receiving the McConnell Scholarship is an opportunity for growing myself both academically and socially. I plan to take advantage of the learning resources and community involvement. Wherever the next four years of my life take me, I know that the McConnell Program will equip me for success.