The Brazilian Studies Program, housed at the College of Arts and Sciences embraces the following goals and objectives:
- To promote the interdisciplinary study and research of subjects related to Brazil, the largest, and most populous country in South America.
- To foster the academic relationship between the University of Louisville and the State University of São Paulo (UNESP)
- To promote the study of Brazilian Culture and language at the University of Louisville
- To provide opportunities for University of Louisville students and faculty to study, conduct research and perform internships in Brazil.
- To host Brazilian students and faculty who come to the University of Louisville, as part of the UNESP-UofL academic agreement.
- To serve as a liason among Brazilian nationals who live in the Metro Louisville area and its surroundings.
- To serve as a research resource for local business and institutions who conduct or plan to work directly with Brazil.
- To offer an undergraduate minor (expected by Fall 2011).
- To develop opportunities for the University of Louisville to work in close connection with the Brazilian Consulate, the U.S. Department of Education, and the Brazilian Department of Education.
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Photograph by Christian Heeb. Property ofnationalgeographic.com