History & Archives Collections | Digital Collections | Database of Medical School Graduates 1838 to 1908
Books can be searched for in the library catalog. Books are located at the west side of the entrance (2nd floor) level of the library. Kornhauser Library catalogs books using the subject headings and classification system of the National Library of Medicine.
You can browse the list of newly acquired titles at Kornhauser Library and the University Libraries using the New Items List.
A collection of over 1600 videocassettes, audio tapes and slide sets is maintained to support basic sciences and the clinical curriculum. The collection is located opposite the circulation desk. Equipment for use of these materials in the library is available on the upper floor and in group study rooms.
History & Archives Collections
The University of Louisville's Kornhauser Library houses a valuable body of historical materials documenting the evolution of medical training and health care practices in Kentucky during the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. The holdings include some records of the University of Louisville School of Medicine from its establishment as the Louisville Medical Institute in 1837. There are also records from four other Louisville medical colleges that were absorbed by U of L in 1908 (Hospital College of Medicine, Kentucky School of Medicine, Kentucky University Medical Department, and Louisville Medical College).
Digital Collections are now available for several resources from the Dental School, Medical School and Nursing School. The Kornhauser Health Sciences Library collection provides access to formal class photographs, images of students, buildings, classrooms, and laboratories, and early medical school catalogs. Together, these materials serve as a resource into the history of the health-related programs and people of the University of Louisville.
The Database of Medical School Students - 1838 to 1908 lists all students who attended the University of Louisville, or any of the above listed schools, during that period. The listing is not complete, and records are added or updated as new information becomes available. The History Collection also includes records of local schools of dentistry, nursing, and public health. These consist mainly of enrollment registers, catalogs and annual announcements, medical journals published by the schools, faculty articles, lectures and addresses, student notebooks, photographs, and memorabilia such as class tickets and diplomas.
You can search for a known journal using the Journal Finder.
Journals are shelved in alphabetical order by title. Issues dating since 1994 are located on the south side of the building on the 2nd floor, entrance level. Issues from 1960 to 1993 are located on the 3rd floor. Issues prior to 1960 are stored in the basement and must be requested at the Circulation Desk. Unbound, new issues are shelved with the bound volumes on the 2nd floor.
Newspapers & Magazines
Current issues of local and national newspapers are available in the Atrium reading area under the stairs to the 3rd floor. Most current editions of newspapers are available online by searching on your preferred Internet search engine (such as Google.com) or check out the list of world-wide newspapers on the Internet Public Library.
List of History and Manuscript Collections This portion of the collection consists of non-university manuscript material and contains the records of local and state hospitals, health departments, medical societies and other professional organizations, including those of the Innominate Society, the Jefferson County Medical Society, the Louisville-Jefferson County Health Department, the Louisville Society of Medicine, and the Medico-Chirurgical Society. There are personal papers of Kentucky physicians, dentists, pharmacists, nurses, and health administrators, many of whom have achieved national prominence in their fields. Notable among them are S. Spafford Ackerly, Charles Caldwell, Daniel Drake, Joel Elkes, Joseph N. and Arthur T. McCormack, Gradie R. Rowntree, R. Glen Spurling, and Lunsford P., Jr. and David W. Yandell.
The library preserves thousands of biographical sketches, reports, notices and articles from nineteenth and twentieth century newspapers and journals. There are also the historical manuscripts which were transcribed by the WPA historical research project to produce Medicine and its Development in Kentucky (1940). Medical bibliophile and cardiologist Emmet Field Horine donated his extensive collection of nineteenth century manuscripts, printed primary sources relating to anesthesiology.
In more than 150 years of operation, the library has amassed a fine collection of rare medical and scientific books and journals, antique medical and dental instruments, and other artifacts. Private collections of rare books which have been donated to the library include those of Charles Caldwell, William E. Gardner, Emmet F. Horine, and R. Glen Spurling. The Joan Titley Adams History Room contains many volumes from the original medical school library--all acquired before 1850, along with the Gardner and Caldwell collections. All of the books in the rare book collections have been cataloged the University Libraries catalog and are located on the upper floor of the Kornhauser Health Sciences Library.
The Archivist is available Monday-Friday, 9 AM-4 PM, by appointment only. Call (502) 852-5778 for an appointment or email Kornhauser History Collections.