Dr. Shiping Hua came to the United States from China to study political science in 1988. Before coming to the University of Louisville in 2003, he taught at Eckerd College in Florida for seven years. He is married to Jia Qin and has three children: Helen, James and Eric.
Honors and Awards
- Candy Kudos Award by the College of Arts and Sciences through the recommendation of the Department of Political Science, UofL, in Feb. 2020.
- Chris Mattingly Award for Community Leadership, The McConnell Center, 2018.
- The single-authored book, Chinese Legal Culture and Constitutional Order won the “Best Scholarly Publication Award for Original Research” by the Association of Chinese Professors in Social Sciences (USA) in 2019.
- Outstanding Service Award, Association of Chinese Professors in Social Sciences (USA), 2017.
- Outstanding Research Award, Association of Chinese Professors in Social Sciences (USA), 2013.
- “American IR Scholars at Beida” Visiting Scholar, at Peking University 2010. (Five months, with a stipend of $15,000.)
- Honorary Citizen of Louisville, appointed by Mayor Greg Fischer, in 2011.
- Listed among 26 Scholars Representing the “Third Generation Watchers of Chinese Politics in the United States,” 一”Richard Baum, “Studies of Chinese Politics in the United States,” in Robert Ash, David Shambaugh and Seiichiro Takagi (eds.), China Watching: Perspectives from Europe, Japan and the United States, London, Routledge, 2007, 261 pp
- Outstanding Leadership Award, Association of Chinese Political Studies (USA), 2006.
- Asian Policy Studies Fellow, Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars-George Washington University, (2004-2005). Full salary compensation for a year, plus research fund and a research assistant.
- East West Center Fellowship, (1990-1994). Tuition waiver with the University of Hawaii Ph.D program, plus $19,000 annually.
Dr. Hua teaches undergraduate and graduate courses at the University of Louisville that include: “Clash of Civilizations,” “Japan, China and the United States,” “Comparative Politics,” “East Asian Politics,” “Introduction to Asian Studies,” “The Pacific Century,” “The People’s Republic of China,”and “Introduction to Asian Politics.”
Research Areas and Projects
International History and Politics
American Political Science Association
Association of Chinese Professors in Social Sciences
Association of Asian Studies
- General Editor, a book series with Routledge: “Comparative Asian Politics,” since 2016, United Kingdom.
- General Editor, a book series with University Press of Kentucky: “Asia in the New Millennium,” since 2009, USA.
- General Editor, a book series with Renmin University of China Press: “Contemporary World’s Classics: Political Science Series,” (translations), since 2009, China.
- Editorial board member of the refereed Journal of Chinese Political Science, since 2003. (SSCI)
- Editorial board member of the refereed journal, American Review of China Studies, since 2010.
- Editorial board member of the refereed journal, International Journal of China Studies, since 2011. (Malaysia)
- Editorial board member, a book series with World Scientific Press (Singapore), “Modern Chinese Thinkers,” since 2012.