SPHIS Home » Departments » Commonwealth Institute of Kentucky (CIK)
The Commonwealth Institute of Kentucky
Welcome to the website of the Commonwealth Institute of Kentucky (CIK). Established in 2015 with a generous investment from KentuckyOne Health, CIK began to build its infrastructure and initiated several research projects almost immediately. We were fortunate to recognize considerable growth in 2015, including the hiring of our deputy director, four new faculty, as well as several additional research staff and graduate research assistants. CIK obtained recognition from the University of Louisville’s Board of Trustees in January 2016.
During the past year we have been cultivating relationships with researchers from multiple disciplines and organizations across diverse sectors. These relationships enhance our capacity to link urban and public health researchers and collaborate with partners across the Commonwealth.
Highlights from 2015-2016
- Secured over $10 million in funding for CIK infrastructure, research capacity building, and data warehousing
- Engaged in community-based research, health policy support, and education.
- Hired four new faculty members, four new staff, and eight graduate students;
- Inducted 20 Commonwealth Scholars from across the university.
- Adopted CIK bylaws and established processes for dealing with grant management, communication, and administration.
We are proud of these accomplishments and eager to advance and pursue new opportunities in the coming year!
Monica Wendel, DrPH, MPH
Director, Commonwealth Institute of Kentucky
Associate Dean for Public Health Practice
School of Public Health and Information Sciences | University of Louisville