David Buckley, Ph.D.
- Assistant Professor, Political Science
- Paul Weber Endowed Chair in Politics, Science & Religion
- Room 401
- Ford Hall, Belknap Campus
David’s research focuses on religion and politics, and in particular on the contentious relationship between religious movements and democratic politics. As globalization increases religious pluralism and democratization provides opportunities for religious movements to shape public policy, how has religion’s place in democratic life changed? The research intentionally crosses lines of religion and region, including field research funded by the Social Science Research Council in the Philippines, Senegal and Ireland. In addition to an in-progress book manuscript based on this fieldwork, David has completed survey-based research on Muslim minorities in Europe and the United States, original survey experimental work on religion in US politics, and a large-N project examining the relationship between economic development and state regulation of religion.
David T. Buckley & Luis F. Mantilla. “God & Governance: Unpacking the Relationship between Development and State Regulation of Religion.” Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion Vol. 52, No. 2 (2013) 328-348.
David T. Buckley. “Citizenship, Multiculturalism, and Cross-National Muslim Minority Public Opinion.” West European Politics Vol. 36, No. 1 (January 2013) 150-175.
- B.A. University of Virginia (2004)
- M.A. Queen's University Belfast (2005)
- Ph.D. Georgetown University (2013)
- POLS 390 Political Research
- POLS 399 Religion and International Politics
- POLS 202 Comparative Political Systems
- POLS 312 Religion and US Politics
- Religion and Democracy
- Political Islam
- Survey & Experimental Research
- Ethnic Conflict
Honors & Awards
- Social Science Research Council, Dissertation Proposal Development Fellowship.
- Cosmos Club Foundation, Dissertation Fellow.
- Mitchell Scholar, Queen’s University Belfast.
- Visiting Research Associate, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland, May-June 2011.
- Visiting Research Fellow, Ateneo de Manila University, Philippines, August 2010.
- Visiting Research Fellow, West Africa Research Center, Senegal, June-July 2010.
- Graduate Fellow, Berkley Center for Religion & World Affairs, Georgetown University, 2007-2013.
- Jefferson Scholar, University of Virginia.
- American Political Science Association
- International Studies Association
- Society for the Scientific Study of Religion