I was born in farm country near Plymouth, Indiana and graduated from a public high school there in 1971. Though most of my professional life has been spent in Louisville, I taught at a small college in Florida for one year before coming to UofL in 1980. I’ve also lived in California, Great Britain and South Korea, and traveled throughout Europe, Asia, and parts of Latin America. Hobbies include music, biking, hiking, pool volleyball, Taekwondo, and raising an energetic boy.
- “Interests and Ideology: U.S-Russian Relations in an Earlier Era,” International Politics, forthcoming.
- “Central Asia, the Shanghai Cooperation, and American Foreign Policy: From Indifference to Engagement,” Asian Survey, Vol. 53, No. 3 (May/June 2013), pp. 484-505.
- “Energy Pipeline Networks and Trust: The European Union and Russia in Comparative Perspective,” International Relations, Vol. 27, No. 1 (March 2013), pp. 3-29.
- “Sravnitel’nyi analiz vospriniatii suvereniteta v SShA, Kitae i Rosii,” (“Contrasting U.S., Сhinese, and Russian Perceptions of Sovereignty),” Sravnitelnaya Politika (Moscow State Institute of International Relations), No. 1 (2012), pp. 3-22.
- “Conceptualizing Sovereignty in Russian Foreign Policy: Realist and Constructivist Perspectives,” International Politics, Vol. 49, No. 4 (June-July 2012), pp. 400-417.
- “Security, Sovereignty, and Democracy: The EU, the OSCE, and Central Asia,” in Roger E. Kanet and Maria Raquel Freire, eds. Competing for Influence: The EU and Russia in Post-Soviet Eurasia (Dordrecht: Republic of Letters Publishing), 2012.
- Civil Society and Politics in Central Asia (University Press of Kentucky, 2015)
Honors and Awards
Hoover Institution National Fellowship, Stanford, 1985-86
International Affairs Fellow, Council on Foreign Relations, 1987-88
Distinguished Alumnus, Purdue University, 1991
Distinguished Research Award, University of Louisville College of Arts and Sciences, 1991.
Senior Fulbright Scholar, Pusan, Korea, 1995.
Career Achievement Award, College of Arts and Sciences, University of Louisville, 2001-02.
College of Arts & Sciences Dean’s Award for Outstanding Departmental Leadership, 2005-06.
Listed in Who's Who in America, 1999-present
University Scholar, University of Louisville, 2007-2012
Distinguished University Scholar, University of Louisville, 2012-present
Russia and Eurasia
Politics of Oil
Comparative Political Culture
Theories of Comparative Politics
Research Areas and Projects
Russia and Eurasia
Executive Director, Louisville Committee on Foreign Relations (since 1990)
Frequent participant, chair, and discussant at national and international conferences
Consultant to Eurasian National University, Kazakhstan, on PhD program
Appointed to 3-year term, Chance School Board of Trustees
Interviewed by CreationFilms for documentary on Afghanistan war, August 2010.
“Complexities of Sovereignty: Kosovo, Georgia, and Russian Foreign Policy” American Political Science Association, Washington, D.C., September 5, 2010.
“China’s Energy Relations with the Global South: The Potential for Great Power Realignment,” Association of Chinese Political Scientists, Endicott College, MA, August 1, 2010.
Invited to present “China, Russia and Central Asia: Evolving Trends in Politics, Energy and Economics,” at a US Pacific Command/ Central Command workshop on PRC Strategy toward Central Asia, Chantilly, VA, July 15, 2010. Related to evolving US government strategy on Afghanistan.