Graduate Certificate in Transportation Engineering
The Civil and Environmental Engineering Department at the J.B. Speed School of Engineering offers an online graduate certificate program to help professionals gain proficiencies in the field of transportation engineering. This certificate provides an excellent educational opportunity for engineers with a B.S. in Civil Engineering degree who:
- May have received a job assignment that requires knowledge in transportation engineering
- May have fundamental knowledge in civil engineering, but may need additional skills and formal education in the field of transportation engineering
- May need an alternative to a full master’s degree
- May want to save time and money by choosing to complete a certificate program
The graduate certificate in transportation engineering is comprised of 4 courses (3 required core courses and 1 elective) for a total of 12 credit hours. The online program can be completed within one year.
Credits earned may be applied to the Master’s in Civil Engineering. Students must apply and be admitted to the Master’s program separately.
As the U.S. economy continues to grow, the need for well-prepared professionals with specialized expertise is also increasing. ASCE’s 2017 Infrastructure Report Card indicates that the United States’ needs are significant and civil engineers must lead the charge to develop a more resilient and sustainable infrastructure. Raising the grades on the U.S. infrastructure will require a skilled workforce able to seek and adopt a wide range of solutions.
Prepare to meet this need and stand out in your profession:
- Gain specialized knowledge in transportation engineering
- Increase your marketability with a worldwide-recognized credential
- Learn from experts in the field
- Take courses 100% online
Civil engineers trained in Transportation Engineering may be employed in fields related to transportation, public works, traffic engineering, traffic design, modeling, arterials, urban transportations, and many other areas.
Civil engineering occupations are projected to grow 8% by 2024. This growth is mainly due to the aging domestic infrastructure. As of May 2015, the median annual salary for civil engineers was $82,220. (BLS.gov)