Aruni Bhatnagar, Ph.D. – Director
Dr. Aruni Bhatnagar is a Smith and Lucille Gibson Professor of Medicine in the Division of Cardiovascular Medicine. He is a graduate of Kanpur University, India and received his post-doctoral training at the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. He is known for his pioneering work on the polyol pathway of glucose metabolism and how it is regulated by nitric oxide.
Dr. Bhatnagar’s research has also led to the elucidation of the mechanisms by which free radicals and lipid peroxidation products affect the function of individual ion channels. His work has triggered the development of the new field of Environmental Cardiology.
- Serves as Deputy Editor of Circulation Research
- Serves on the Editorial Boards of Circulation and Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology
- Serves as a member of the Clinical and Integrative Cardiovascular Sciences Study Section, Center for Scientific Review
- Is an elected Fellow of the American Heart Association
- Has participated in over 50 National Institutes of Health review panels
- Has authored over 180 publications:
- Secondhand Smoke Exposure and Cardiovascular Effects: Making Sense of the Evidence
- Particulate Matter Air Pollution and Cardiovascular Disease: An AHA Scientific Statement
- Environmental Cardiology: Pollution and Heart Disease
Roberto Bolli, M.D. – Co-Director
Dr. Roberto Bolli is a Professor of Medicine, Distinguished University Scholar, Chief of Cardiovascular Medicine, as well as Director of the Institute of Molecular Cardiology at UofL. He is a member of the Advisory Council of the NHLBI, Chairman on the Council of Basic Cardiovascular Sciences of the American Heart Association, past Secretary General and current President of the International Society for Heart Research. He is a recipient of the American Heart Association's Distinguished Scientist Award.
Dr. Bolli has a long-standing interest in myocardial ischemia/reperfusion injury and cardioprotection. His team has made many significant contributions to the understanding of myocardial ischemia / reperfusion injury, cardioprotection, ischemic preconditioning, and stem cell biology.
- Serves as Editor-in-Chief of Circulation Research
- Serves as an Associate Editor of Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology
- Serves as a member of the NHLBI Advisory Council
- Has participated in numerous NIH study sections and committees
- Recent publications:
Our Research Focus:
Using a multidisciplinary and collaborative approach to research, our work ranges from cardiovascular metabolism and inflammation to stem cell biology and environmental cardiology, all while maintaining a cohesive theme and common goal. We believe that coupled with community outreach and expert clinical care, our research can help stem the tide of these growing epidemics.