Open Walls participant guidelines
The Office of Communications and Marketing (OCM), Photographic Archives and the Office of the Provost have teamed up to provide UofL faculty, staff and administrators who are not professional or exhibited artists an opportunity to share their work with other people.
They, with help from the Hite Art Galleries, are sponsoring an Open Walls exhibit, June 3 and 6, in the Photographic Archives, lower level, Ekstrom Library.
“We think this is a great way to let people show a little bit of who they are outside of work, and that it will be fun for the university community,” said Provost Shirley Willihnganz.
Here’s how it will work:
- All media (i.e., painting, photography, woodworking, mixed media, fiber arts, jewelry, crafts) will be accepted. Preferred pieces are those that can hang on a wall with basic artwork hanging hardware. Open Walls can accommodate a few non-hanging 3D objects, but they must be able to fit in a display case that is 8 inches tall.
- Because of space limitations, Open Walls may be able to accommodate only 1 piece from each participant. Large pieces (those wider than 24 inches) cannot be accommodated. Registration materials include a place for more than one piece, but list your preferred work first.
- Faculty, staff and administrator visual artists who want to participate should e-mail Janene Zaccone by 5 p.m., Friday, May 20, to receive registration materials. These will include a receipt form to complete and bring the day of artwork delivery.
- Registration materials must be submitted by e-mail by 5 p.m., May 23, to email@example.com
- On June 1, between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m., people who have received confirmation of participation will deliver their artwork and receipt form to the Photographic Archives, lower level, Ekstrom Library.
- All hanging art must be ready to hang, including hanging hardware (nail, or nail and picture hook, for example), or it cannot be included.
- All art must have the artist’s name on it somewhere.
- Artists must retrieve their work at 4 p.m. June 6 (the end of the event) or it will be forfeited. Please bring your receipt when you come to pick it up.
- Artists will be included on a first-come basis. Sponsors will do their best to include everyone who wishes to share their work, but they have sole discretion on what will be displayed.
- OCM will post a list of participants on the UofL Today website Wednesday, June 1.
- Provost Shirley Willihgnanz is sponsoring a reception at noon on June 3 in the east wing lower level of Ekstrom Library (outside Photographic Archives). Participants are encouraged to attend.