HR Item of Interest: Shared Leave Policy Changes
The Board of Trustees has approved program continuation, a name change and a new policy and accompanying procedures for a program that allows UofL staff employees to share accrued leave with other staff employees.
The name of the Shared Leave Program is changing to the Catastrophic Shared Leave Program to better reflect the nature of the program.
It will continue as a benefit for staff employees into the 2010 fiscal year, which starts July 1.
Human Resources will develop and distribute a revised policy and procedures that will include these key program enhancements and modifications:
- Employees will be permitted to donate leave directly to another individual in addition to the shared leave pool.
- Employees will be able to donate unlimited vacation leave to the shared leave pool or another employee and unlimited sick leave to an immediate family member. Sick leave donations to the shared leave pool or to non-family members will continue to be limited to 24 days per year.
- Board appointed administrators will be able to donate vacation leave to the program, even though they are not eligible to apply for shared leave awards.
- Employees will be able to apply for up to 480 hours of sick leave (instead of 320), equivalent to the Family Medical Leave period of 12 weeks.
- Shared leave may be used to augment workers' compensation leave or temporary medical disability, but may not be used to augment parental leave (other than the period of actual physical disability associated with child birth).
- Employees will need 12 months of continuous service to be eligible for leave awards, and the first seven days of absence due to a serious health condition will be excluded.
For more detailed information, see Shared Leave Policy Changes on the HR Items of Interest site.