Ombuds’ Insights: Another Year
The first month in a new year, and many of us have yet to adjust to time passing so quickly the pages of our life calendar still are in late summer.
Tempus Fugit notwithstanding, how do we get into pace with the speed of life? Here are some tips:
- Breath Differently: feel the air as it fills your lungs and regularize breathing to increase lung capacity. As more oxygen reaches all the cells of your body you will benefit in improved physical and emotional health.
- Picture It: What do you want to accomplish? If you can see it, you can say it, and if you say it, it might come true. When you review the movie of your life, who will play you and how will it end?
- Be Your Own Agent of Reality: Realistic, specific and measurable goals are building blocks to another kind of life if you seek change. Fantasy cannot be part of your book of life unless it is fiction and the characters are unreal. Grasp first what is within reach.
- Get a Coach: Everyone should have a life coach to guide us when we stray from the path we charted. The coach offers accountability to your goals and encourages your success. Your coach must be a trusted listener to understand your feelings and thoughts.
- Be Flexible: Any plan can be improved and should change with circumstances, so review your goals periodically and test progress. Simplicity and attainability are important parts of any sensible travel plan into the changes for this new year.
- Enjoy the Journey: Destinations change but the journey is constant and consistent. You may not yet know where you’re going but getting there should be fun. Don’t sweat the petty stuff and don’t pet the sweaty stuff!
- Share Your Happiness: Empathetic communication links people and performance and forms the basis for common action, generates power to leverage communication to targeted goals, and gives relationships their foundation to empower rewarding and positive exchanges.