Farmers Market highlights June 26, 2014
GRAY STREET: 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Besides the usual fresh fruits and vegetables at the market this week, the first apples are in season! It’s a very exciting time, so take advantage of those crisp June apples to make this simple apple sauce. Put it on some local pork, eat it as a snack, or even use it to bake. You’ll be surprised how easy it is to make this tasty treat.
Local celebrity Chef Tanya Beauchamp, known as Chef T, will be teaching us about healthy meals with free samples of her “everything” salad and berry smoothie at the market this week. She’ll only be around from 11 am to 1 pm, so make sure you come to the market to learn about preparing simple and wholesome meals using fresh and natural ingredients. She’ll be using some of the best berries (from Steve at Lowe Creek Farm!) in her smoothies, so don’t miss out!
Flour Power will have whole grain breads and cookies including brioche and Italian rosemary focaccia.
Full Heart Farm will be bringing LOTS of pickles this week. Take your pick from extra garlic, spicy, dill, or bread and butter varieties. Full Heart will also have cherry clove jam, local honey, Rimmer’s Salsa, and 12 varieties of granola.
Granny’s Delights will be bringing green beans, squash, zucchini, cucumbers, beets, kale, onions, green tomatoes, sugar snap peas, cabbage, honey, bread and butter pickles, dill pickles, zucchini relish, and other canned items.
Jackson’s Produce will have sweet corn, June apples, Yukon new potatoes, tomatoes, green beans, cucumbers, lettuce, and eggplant.
Lowe Creek Farm will have baby bok choy, baby kale, salad mix, blueberries, raspberries, and berry turnovers from Plump Peacock Bakery.
Mr. G’s Kettle Corn will be popping local Kentucky Proud Kettle Corn. Website
GMeals will be serving homemade tostadas with your choice of grilled veggies or marinated and shredded chicken with avocado crema and crumbled queso fresco.
Jam Pan will have jerk pork and jerk chicken served with their own jerk gravy and choice of either hard dough bread or Jamaican rice and peas. They also have plantain chips (sweet or spicy) and Jamaican drinks: Ting (grapefruit soda), Pink Ting (pink grapefruit soda), and non-alcoholic ginger beer. Webpage.
New! Longshot Lobsta will be serving an assortment of lobster rolls and soups as well as various drink options:
- Traditional lobster roll with lobster tossed in mayonnaise, celery, and seasoning on a buttered bun
- Maine lobster roll with lobster tossed in Greek yogurt, celery, and seasoning on a buttered bun
- Creamy lobster bisque with cheddar bay biscuit
- Fresh gazpacho with cheddar bay biscuit
- Rooibee tea, soda and water
BELKNAP: 3:30 to 6 p.m.
The vendors and organizers of the Belknap Farmers’ Market look forward to seeing you tomorrow! We are so excited that the Belknap market has continued being a success! It has been breezy and comfortable under the trees and tents – come out and check out some of the great products and to see the activities the vendors have to offer. We want to welcome 2 new vendors: Kandies of Kentucky and Steckler Grassfed (cheese).
Don’t forget to stop by the information booth to sign up for our listserv and get in drawings to win one of several door prizes that will be given away over the next few months. Please check out our Recipe of the Week below – Romaine with Shallot Mustard Vinaigrette! We have some great products that you can buy at our Belknap Farmers Market to be used in this recipe.
As entertainment this week, we will have Allan Andersen who entertains with Folk, Americana and old time music on a claw hammer banjo . It will be an enjoyable day to get out of the office or home and stroll along 3rd & Brandeis to check out some great products and to enjoy some music!
- Bread and Breakfast will have a various assortment of breads such as country style and European. Also cinnamon rolls, gluten free pastries and breads
- GMeals will not be participating this week
- Grannys Delights will have green beans, squash, zuchinni, cucumbers, beets, kale, onions, green tomatoes,sugar snap peas, cabbage,and some corn. Honey and other canned items, bread & butter pickles, dill pickles, zuchinni relish.
- Green Farm will not be here this Thursday
- Lowe Creek Farm will have baby bok choy, baby kale, salad mix, raspberries, blueberries, honey, Plump Peacock Plump Peacock Bakery –raspberry and blueberry turnovers
- Marvins Gardens will have kale, squash, potatoes, carrots, broccoli, Swiss chard, onions, radishes, turnips
- Paradise Island Local Tea will have Paradise Island Tea and African hats
- Swallow Rail Farm will have whole and half chicken; lamb kabob, chops, racks and lamb shanks. Local pork sausage from Faulkner Meats includes mild Italian and zesty chorizo. All meat is frozen and our lamb, chicken and eggs are certified Animal Welfare Approved. We will be light on eggs and blueberries as we wait for late season varieties to ripen-before the birds eat them! Netting goes up this weekend. www.SwallowRailFarm.com
- Kandies of Kentucky will have bourbon, wine, rum and liqueur gourmet chocolates. Kandies of Kentucky has 17 flavors.
- Steckler Grassfed will be participating soon.