Music with Emphasis in Music Theory (BM)
This program was approved for students entering the university in the Fall 2008 - Summer 2009 catalog year. For more information about catalog year, go to Catalog Year Information.
|University-wide General Education requirements1,2||34|
|Music Theory 141-242 (four 4-hour courses)||16|
|Music Literature 361 (four 3-hour courses)||12|
|Principal Ensemble (eight 1-hour courses)
(Strings take section 01, others solely dependent on the ensemble audition.)
|Recital Attendance 097 (six semesters of “S”)||0|
|Conducting I 359||2|
|Applied Lessons (four 2-hour courses)||8|
|Introduction to Music Study 100||1|
|Piano Proficiency 297||0|
|Composition 243-344 (four 2-hour courses)3||8|
|Composition Seminar 441 (four 1/2-hour courses)||2|
|Ensemble Scoring I & II 345-346||4|
|Chromatic Harmony and Analysis/Analysis of Twentieth-Century Music 547-548||4|
|Digital Techniques I & II 567-568||4|
|Senior Paper 498||0|
|Conducting II 360||2|
|Applied Lessons (three additional 2-hour courses)||6|
|Methods (three 1-hour courses)||3|
|Piano Class4,5 (four 1-hour classes)||4|
Admission to Senior College
No B.M. degree student may enroll for 400-level music courses until all of the following Requirements have been satisfied:
- Completion of at least 48 credits toward the degree.
- MUS 232 Piano Class (for non-keyboard principals) or Piano Proficiency Examination (for keyboard principals).
- MUS 212. The examination for MUS 212 will be graded by an expanded jury. The student must prepare at least 11 minutes of music. Keyboard principals must pass the Piano Proficiency Examination before taking the examination for MUS 212.
- MUS 242 Theory IV.
- MUS 361-01 and -02 Music Literature.
- MUS 097 Recital Attendance, four semesters with grade of “S”.
- ENGL 101 or ENGL 105 and at least three additional general education courses.
- MUS 244. The examination for MUS 244 will require submission of a portfolio of compositions to the faculty of the theory/composition department.
- GPA of 2.5.
1 Students are required to take PAS 214 African American Music (Arts and Humanities content: Cultural Diversity competency) and ANTH 205 Music in World Cultures (Social and Behavioral Sciences content: Cultural Diversity competency).
2 MUH courses may not be taken to fulfill any General Education requirement.
3 Undergraduate theory majors enrolled in MUS 243-344 are required to present public performances of their original works to average at least eight minutes of music per semester.
4 If applied principal is piano, Piano Class is replaced with 4 hours of electives. For students with a piano background, four semesters of MUS 121-122 (Secondary Piano) may be substituted.
5 Students must pass the Piano Proficiency Examination before receiving credit for the 4th semester of the piano requirement. Students must be enrolled continuously in the class until their piano requirement has been completed. Students who pass the Piano Proficiency Examination before the 4th semester of Piano Class are encouraged to continue keyboard study for a total of four semesters.
6 Theory majors are strongly advised to take a second semester of German.