Music with Emphasis in Music Education (Pre-Certification - Keyboard) (BM)
This program was approved for students entering the university in the Fall 2008 - Summer 2009 catalog year. For more information about catalog year, go to Catalog Year Information.
|University-wide General Education requirements1,2||34|
|Music Theory 141-242 (four 4-hour courses)||16|
|Music Literature 361 (four 3-hour courses)||12|
|Principal Ensemble (eight 1-hour courses)
(Solely dependent on the ensemble audition.)
|Recital Attendance 097 (six semesters of “S”)||0|
|Conducting I 359||2|
|Applied Lessons (four 2-hour courses)||8|
|Introduction to Music Study 100||1|
|Piano Proficiency 297||0|
|Brass Methods 135||1|
|Woodwind Methods 235||1|
|String Methods 335||1|
|Elementary School Music Methods 228||2|
|Middle and Junior High School Music Methods 328||2|
|Choral Techniques 428||2|
|Ensemble Scoring I & II 345–346||4|
|Music Education Rehearsal Practicum 301-402 (four 1/2-hour courses)||2|
|Introduction to Music Education 116||1|
|Introduction to Jazz Improvisation 118||1|
|Jazz Methods 338||2|
|Learning Theory and Human Growth and Development ECPY 507||3|
|Exploring Teaching in the Sociopolitical Contexts of P-12 Schools EDTP 502||3|
|Applied Lessons (three additional 2-hour courses)||6|
|Applied Voice 133-334 (six 1-hour courses)||6|
|Voice Pedagogy 571||2|
|Conducting II 360-01||2|
|Healthy Lifestyles I HSS 184||3|
Admission to Senior College
No B.M. degree student may enroll for 400-level music courses until all of the following requirements have been satisfied:
- Completion of at least 48 credits toward the degree.
- Piano Proficiency Examination.
- MUS 212. The examination for MUS 212 will be graded by an expanded jury. The student must prepare at least 11 minutes of music. Keyboard principals must pass the Piano Proficiency Examination before taking the examination for MUS 212.
- MUS 242 Theory IV.
- MUS 361-01 and -02 Music Literature.
- MUS 097 Recital Attendance, four semesters with grade of “S”
- ENGL 101 or ENGL 105 and at least three additional general education courses.
- GPA of 2.5.
1 Students are required to take PAS 214 African American Music (Arts and Humanities content: Cultural Diversity competency) and ANTH 205 Music in World Cultures (Social and Behavioral Sciences content: Cultural Diversity competency).
2 MUH courses may not be taken to fulfill any General Education requirement.