CLEP (for Military ONLY)
The College Board’s College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) has been the most widely trusted credit-by-examination program for over 40 years, accepted by 2,900 colleges and universities and administered in more than 1,800 test centers. This rigorous program allows students of a wide range of ages and backgrounds to demonstrate their mastery of college-level material in introductory subjects and earn college credit. Students can earn credit for what they already know by getting qualifying scores on any of the eligible 33 Exam Topics.
The University of Louisville is pleased to offer DANTES-funded CLEP exams at no-cost for those who qualify.
If you have received ADA accommodations such as extended time, reduced distraction, a reader or a scribe from U of L's Disabilities Resource Center (502-852-6938), please call our office BEFORE scheduling any exam.
1. Visit the CLEP for Military page for qualification information and to register. If you don't qualify, please register using the regular CLEP exam link.
2. CHECK WITH YOUR SCHOOL TO MAKE SURE THEY ACCEPT THE CLEP TEST YOU PLAN TO TAKE. University of Louisville students need to visit the Office of Admissions website for this information. If you are taking a CLEP exam for another university or institution, please check them.
3. STUDY....if you don't pass the test, you'll have to wait 3 months before paying and taking it again! There are many ways to prepare for your CLEP test. CLEP provides links to recommended textbooks and study materials for each of their exams. One of their featured links is the non-profit organization, Modern States Education Alliance. Modern States provides FREE online classes to prepare you for the CLEP exam and a limited number of vouchers to take your CLEP test for FREE after you complete their program.
4. SCHEDULE YOUR TEST DATE AND TIME with the University of Louisville Testing Services Office. You will receive an email from us confirming your appointment.
5. READ OVER THIS INFORMATION and pay CLOSE attention to the ID requirements. Military test takers must bring their military ID. If you have any questions about the requirements, feel free to contact our office at 502.852.6606 prior to your scheduled appointment. We do not allow personal belonging inside the testing room. We will issue you a locker to store your belongings.
See Parking and Directions for directions and Google Maps links to our office..