Reporting Transfer or Movement of Property
Transfer or movement of equipment may not be made beyond the confines of the University until authorized by Cognizant Authority. Internal transfer of property between departments may be authorized by deans, directors, and department heads.
- The Inventory Control office must be notified of all transfer or movement of property with a value $1,000 or more. Property movements, such as relocation of property between rooms in the same building, within the same department, also requires notice. Notification of equipment relocation can be made on the TRANOVER form, by email note, FAX 852-8817, or memo to Inventory Control. Inventory Control will update the department inventory. Notice is not required when property is moved for repair or other services, providing such repair time does not exceed 30 days. However, file receipts should be retained to verify property location.
- A form should be submitted to initiate transfer of equipment. There are two separate forms: 1) TRANUND is for items valued under $1,000. The TRANUND form goes directly to Physical Plant. 2) The TRANOVER form is for items valued over $1,000 which goes directly to Inventory Control. Inventory Control will confirm the form for items over $1,000 and forward it to Physical Plant. After transfer is completed, Inventory Control will adjust the department inventory accordingly.
- All property owned by the University of Louisville must remain in the buildings owned or leased by the University. If it is essential that property be taken off campus the department head must ensure that a receipt is prepared, indicating the type of property being removed, denoting the University of Louisville barcode property tag number, and have the individual borrowing the property sign for it.
- When property is loaned between University departments for extended periods, but title does not pass, a written record should be kept with a copy to Inventory Control.
- Gifts of property to organizations or persons outside of the University must follow procedures in KRS45A.425 and authorized by the Associate Vice President for Business Affairs. Upon approval of such gifts the Inventory Control office will delete such items of property from the files.
- If departing UofL staff is authorized to transfer equipment from UofL to another University or facility, the department chairman or his assignee must send a signed memo to Inventory Control listing the items with the asset tag numbers and serial numbers. Upon approval by Inventory Control, the items will be removed from the department's inventory.
- The surplus warehouse is only open on Wednesday, except when preparing for an auction. The surplus warehouse is located at 1901 S. Floyd Street on Belknap Campus. The warehouse is open from 8am to 11:30am, then 12:30pm to 4pm. Surplus items may be brought in or removed on Wednesdays.
There is no charge to the department to reserve an item for departmental use. Reserved items should be removed within two weeks or item will be made available to others. If you want Physical Plant Labor to deliver your reserved item, the department must complete the Physical Plant Chargeable Plant Job Request form. Physical Plant will bill the department for its services.
Surplus items are not for personal use or sale.
The department will notify Inventory Control via FAX (502) 852-8817 or memo of the items relocated and the name of the individual personally responsible and in possession of the equipment. Inventory Control will change the inventory reflecting the room location as the person's abbreviated name.