Study Abroad Scholarships
Study abroad scholarships are one of the many ways to finance your trip abroad. They vary in amount and can be based on financial need, merit, location and length of your program, as well as other factors. Although we encourage students to apply to as many scholarships as they are eligible for, it is important to remember that they are not guaranteed and other forms of financing may be required.
Remember: you cannot win the lottery if you don’t buy the ticket. Similarly, you can’t receive a scholarship if you don’t apply in the first place! Here is an extensive list of scholarships available for study abroad students:
Below are some discounts that our study abroad Program Providers offer, organized by Provider.
- Gilman Scholarship Recipient Match ($500 for semester, $250 for summer)
- GI Bill Scholarship Match ($500 for semester, $250 for summer)
- Boren Scholarship Recipient Match ($500 for semester, $250 for summer)
- Affiliate school grant (UofL is an affiliate) ($400 for semester, $200 for summer)
- AIFS Family Discount ($500 discount to students whose siblings or parents studied with AIFS)
- Study Again with AIFS ($1000 for a semester, $500 for a summer to alumni of AIFS)
- Gilman Scholarship Recipient Match (up to $1000 for semester, $500 for internship)
- Early Bird Scholarship for Rome, Italy (John Cabot University) ($200-$250 deduction)
- Gilman Scholarship Recipient Match ($1000 for semester, $500 for summer)
- CCSA Traveler Scholarship – Pell Grant Recipients only (up to $1000)
- Gilman Scholarship Applicant Scholarship (up to $2500)
- GAIN Travel Grant – Pell Grant Recipients only (up to $1000)
- Go Abroad Again Grant (10% discount to CIEE alumni or sibling of alumni)
- CIS Abroad TRIO Student Grant (up to $750 towards your flights)
- CIS Abroad Gilman Applicant Grant (up to $750 towards your flights)
- KEI Affiliate Grant (UofL is an affiliate) ($1000 grant for any term in the school year)
- KEI Go Again Grant ($500 for semester, $250 for summer for KEI alumni)
- KEI Early Enrollment Discount ($100 application fee deducted from program fee if you apply early)
- KIIS Apply Early & Save $100 (apply by early application deadline)
- KIIS Go with a Friend (if you study abroad with a friend on same trip, both get $50 off)
- Public University Grant (UofL is an associate member) ($2,000 credit toward semester/AY)
- IFSA State School Grant ($2,000 for a semester for any student at a state school/university)
- GIVE (GI Veterans Excellence) Scholarship ($500 for a program)
- Freeman-ASIA Supplemental Scholarship ($500 for any recipient of this scholarship)
- Repeat Student Grant ($250-$500 discount for additional ISA programs)
- Sibling Grant ($350-$500 discount to students whose siblings studied with ISA)
- Matching Scholarship & Honored Groups ($300-$750 off programs for recipients who are veterans and have received the Boren, FLAS, or Gilman Scholarship)
- Group discounts (bring two or more friends on a trip and receive between $300-$500 off)
- Pell Grant Matching Program
- Pell Grant Matching Program
- SIT Study Abroad Alumni Scholarship ($500-$1000 off for SIT Alumni)
- Returning Student Discount ($300-$500 off for USAC Alumni)
- If you are studying abroad with a Program Provider, they will have their own set of scholarships. Check your provider's website and/or speak with a representative from the provider for more information.
- StudyAbroad.com Scholarship Database
- Our office is here to provide feedback on your scholarship essays. If you would like to use this resource, please complete the Scholarship Essay Critique Form and email us. Please allow 3-5 business days for us to review essays and provide relevant feedback. Please do not submit an essay critique request 2-3 days prior to a scholarship deadline as this will not allow ample time to provide beneficial critiques.
- The Office of National and International Scholarship Opportunities has multiple resources for scholarships. They advise for programs such as the Fulbright Awards, Boren Scholarship and Fellowships, Critical Language Scholarship, and more.